How To Set Up Your Own Website

cjwest

I am a graphic artist and have gotten many inquiries from knife makers regarding designing their website. None of them have panned out because most knife makers are quite happy with what they can get for free or almost free. I prefer to work for more than minimum wage but would like to help out in some way. So following is a brief tutorial on how to use WordPress to set up your own website to sell knives. To do so you will need to purchase hosting and a domain name.

Set Up Your Website Account

I use www.godaddy.com with all of my clients. In my five years as a graphic artist, I’ve been quite satisfied with their customer service and pricing. There are others out there but godaddy.com is the only one I can recommend. Under the Hosting tab at godaddy, you will notice a link called WordPress Hosting. The economy plan is sufficient for most knife makers needs. Add this to your cart, search for and purchase an appropriate domain name, and check out. Ignore everything that godaddy wants you to purchase in addition to your hosting and domain names. Godaddy will guide you through the WordPress setup.

Set Up Your Website

There are thousands of WordPress themes out there and you can choose any of them you like. I have modified a theme called Linquist that is basic but functional. It fits most knife maker needs and of course is free. If you would like to see a demo of this theme click here. Download the theme here. Save the theme to your desktop but don’t unzip it. When you set up your account with godaddy, you provided them with a username and password for your wordpress account. Type your website address in the address bar. You should arrive at a login page. Enter your login information. Don’t forget that it is case sensitive.

Switch to a New Theme

In the left sidebar click Appearance. Click Add New Theme Click Upload. Click choose file and upload the file you downloaded earlier. Click Install Now.
Picture-8.png

Click Themes and activate the theme called Linquist. Go to Linquist Options in the Appearance tab and replace yoursite with your site’s name in the footer section.

Set Up Your Blog

You can change the website name and tagline in the Settings tab.

Adding Statistics and a Contact Form

Click Plugins in the left sidebar. Click Add New. Search for statpress. Install and activate Statpress Reloaded. Search for contact form. Install and activate Contact Form 7. Click on the Contact tab in the left sidebar. Type your email address in the To section under the Mail section. Click Save. Highlight code in brackets at the top of the page.
Picture-1.png

Click Pages. Click Add New. Title it Contact. Insert the code you just copied and click Publish. You can add other pages in the same way.

Picture-3.png

Adding Knife Categories

Click Posts. Click Categories. Add categories. If you want some categories to appear as subcategories of a parent category, select a category parent. This will enable a drop down window with sub categories.

Picture-4.png

Adding Knives

Click Posts. Click Add New. Enter a Title. Click the box to the right of Upload/Insert.
Picture-5.png
Select the picture on your computer. VERY IMPORTANT: Under Link Url select File URL and insert into post.

Picture-6.png

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: Select the insert more tag.
Picture-9.png
Make sure the more tag comes after the picture but before the text. Enter a short description. Enter PayPal Buy Now Button short code for knives that are for sale (explained later). In the right sidebar select which categories the knife belongs to. Click Publish. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

For the weekend warrior whose inventory is never large, the PayPal Buy Now button is quite sufficient. You need a PayPal account for this to work. Login to PayPal. Go to Merchant Services. Click Buy Now Button. Enter in product details including a product number. Make sure you set inventory limits in step two so that two customers can’t purchase the same knife. Click create button. Click Select Code. Copy the code and insert it beneath the price of your knife when you are creating the knife post.

You can add, edit and delete pages under the Pages tab. This is where you would put your about me section or custom orders page.

OK so there is the basics of creating a WordPress site to sell or display knives. For more detailed information visit www.wordpress.org. There are more visually appealing themes out there but this is the theme that seemed to be the most user friendly and least technical. It automatically resizes pictures for you and has a lightbox effect that enlarges the pictures when someone clicks on it. Best of all, it’s free. So no one has to pay "over-priced" artists such as myself. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Thanks CJ, I needed that. I have been thinking about getting a web-site but procrastinate. I printed this off to study more fully latter tonight.

That's an awfully cute kid in that picture! If any folks have any questions about all this, don't hesitate to ask. Cara is always happy to work with those of us who are better with tools than technology.

Good idea. I look at Wordpress from time to time. Many fellow teachers use it to blog their classes and their other duties for their students. I just can't quite convince myself to take the plunge. I've talked with a couple of websters about modifying a copy of my old site from my last project, a nonprofit educational farm. (The site is now at my new domain, www.eartharts.us.) The reason I keep dragging my feet is many-fold: funds, getting a new logo and most specifically, deciding on the new categories and subjects, etc. It's funny how complex it can start seeming to be.

Thanks CJ, I needed that. I have been thinking about getting a web-site but procrastinate. I printed this off to study more fully latter tonight.

Ditto the thanks. I too have procrastinated, mostly due to lack of knowledge and guidance. Again much thanks.
Dknife

I had tried building my website following this tutorial. Some things must have changed since it was written. It has helped but there are some holes . I started on Sat. and still cant figure out how to get my website on the net. Everytime I look for it it reads It has not been up loaded yet.
crystalcreekknives.com

Here are some things that are missing that will get you to where the tutorial starts.

After buying the webhosting and domain name log in on the go daddy site.

Then on the left under the tab that reads my products click "hosting".
Then you will see your domain name and a line that reads manage my account.
Click manage my account.
On the new page hover the tab at the top that reads "content" and click godaddy web hosting at the bottom of it.

On the left of this page is a tab that reads blogs. Click it then click the
wordpress tab. After it comes up you need to click install and follow the directions from there.

If anybody can help me with this I would sure appreciate it. I am really struggling now. I have sent the op a message but have not heard back yet.
Im starting to think I wasted my 60.00.:(

You probably didn't waste your $60. Cara is out of town visiting her parents and will be back in about a week. I let her know you were having a problem, and she'll get back to you as soon as she gets home to help you work it out.

You probably didn't waste your $60. Cara is out of town visiting her parents and will be back in about a week. I let her know you were having a problem, and she'll get back to you as soon as she gets home to help you work it out.

Thanks Travis.
I havent thrown my computers out the window yet so I still have a chance of making it work:D. Everything that she wrote has worked so I dont know why my site is not being uploaded to the internet. Probably something simple for her to fix but im at a loss. l look forward to hearing from her.

if godaddy doesn't offer an integrated install feature for wordpress, there's an very easy fix.

get your ftp-account log-in data. should be a username and password.

download wordpress: http://www.wordpress.org/ , download.

unzip the archive you downloaded, you now should have a folder called "wordpress".

read the readme in that folder, and follow the instructions regarding the setup of your mySQL database.

asuming you use windows. open an explorer window, enter: ftp.crystalcreekknives.com - it will prompt for your username and password you got in step one.

simply drag and drop the wordpress folder into the ftp window.

follow further instructions of the wordpress readme, regarding installation.

---

then again, if you think you can't do it - and trust me (i know, long shot with only a few postings) email me your log-in from godaddy and i make that installation for you within a few minutes if i don't encounter any troubles, that need to be taken care of by your provider.

greetings,
olli

Ollie rocks! I don't know diddly about WordPress and GoDaddy's hosting, so I am no help.

if godaddy doesn't offer an integrated install feature for wordpress, there's an very easy fix.

get your ftp-account log-in data. should be a username and password.

download wordpress: http://www.wordpress.org/ , download.

unzip the archive you downloaded, you now should have a folder called "wordpress".

read the readme in that folder, and follow the instructions regarding the setup of your mySQL database.

asuming you use windows. open an explorer window, enter: ftp.crystalcreekknives.com - it will prompt for your username and password you got in step one.

simply drag and drop the wordpress folder into the ftp window.

follow further instructions of the wordpress readme, regarding installation.

---

then again, if you think you can't do it - and trust me (i know, long shot with only a few postings) email me your log-in from godaddy and i make that installation for you within a few minutes if i don't encounter any troubles, that need to be taken care of by your provider.

greetings,
olli

Olli
Sorry I hadnt replied yet. I deleted my website yesterday and tried to start from scratch but its still not on the net. I will try your tips tonight and see what happens.
Thanks for the information and your generous offer to do it for me. I may have you take you up on it if this doesnt work.
Thanks.

Tod.

My website is up and running. Well I dont know about running but its on the internet now. I still have some work to do on it.
Just want to say thanks to Cara the writer of the tutorial for personally helping me out with it.cool 1
Also thanks to Ollie for offering up the help.2thumbs

Hey Shank , I checked your site out . Very nice , it looks like you're off to a great start with it . And I can't believe that knife is only $110. ! It looks real good . Are you making sheaths for you knives as well ? I wish you all the best with it . Bill

Hey Shank , I checked your site out . Very nice , it looks like you're off to a great start with it . And I can't believe that knife is only $110. ! It looks real good . Are you making sheaths for you knives as well ? I wish you all the best with it . Bill

Hey Bill.
Thanks for the good comments and well wishes.
Sorry I just now found yer reply here.
Yes I have a sheath made for it. I need to get the pic posted.
I am learning having a website will take some dedication.:D Thanks for taking the time to look and leave a comment.

CJ,

Thanks for the info. Ive been looking for an excuse to start playing around with a website. Your tips gave me that excuse. I had some trouble at the beginning. For some reason, I couldn't get your theme to install smoothly (error messages). I ended up using a different theme, and I'm learning how to modify it.

Back