Grinder (WIP)

R

rgoad

Well its getting closer. Still like a couple more tool bars, tool rest and wiring. Have look and always open to suggestions.

grinder1.jpg

grinder2.jpg

grinder3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the stand mount, is it on casters by any chance? The overall grinder package looks real good with one notable exception. :(

The motor is an open frame and the cooling intake appears to be directly in line with the grinding belt discharge. This is going to put the dust into the motor windings and bearings. You will need to come up with a deflector and filter arrangment to protect this type motor at the colling intake.

The motor won't last nearly as long as it should in this configuration due to the dust being thrown at the vent and cooling intakes. If the fine metal dust makes it across the brushes it could put on a spectacular fireworks display :eek::D

if the motor is on a swivel using the weight of the motor for belt tension you may want to put a spring on it for more tension at least i had to, but the grinder looks awesome I like it on the pedestal instead of a table like mine, The more I like it that is simplified and exact man steel for that would be like $50-75 I think im building one of those next.

Last edited:
Awesome build. I like the pedestal mount, you put some thought into your build. The dust in the open motor was mentioned. I saw where one fellow taped some scotchbrite over the openings to keep the dust out.

Larry

I really like the stand mount, is it on casters by any chance? The overall grinder package looks real good with one notable exception. :(

The motor is an open frame and the cooling intake appears to be directly in line with the grinding belt discharge. This is going to put the dust into the motor windings and bearings. You will need to come up with a deflector and filter arrangment to protect this type motor at the colling intake.

The motor won't last nearly as long as it should in this configuration due to the dust being thrown at the vent and cooling intakes. If the fine metal dust makes it across the brushes it could put on a spectacular fireworks display :eek::D

Mike thanks flat out missed the intake problem thanks for the input.

if the motor is on a swivel using the weight of the motor for belt tension you may want to put a spring on it for more tension at least i had to, but the grinder looks awesome I like it on the pedestal instead of a table like mine, The more I like it that is simplified and exact man steel for that would be like $50-75 I think im building one of those next.

Thanks AW

I will keep that in mind

Awesome build. I like the pedestal mount, you put some thought into your build. The dust in the open motor was mentioned. I saw where one fellow taped some scotchbrite over the openings to keep the dust out.

Thanks LR I may try the scotchbrite idea

Larry

Great job . the grinder looks great.

Chip thanks for having a loook

Back