1075 quench

Not questioning you at all, but isn't 80crv2 in the 10XX class? Just curious...
Not really. It has too many alloying elements that aid in deep hardening.

I quenched an 80crv2 blade in parks 50 because it was what I had on hand. Worst blade I ever made. It won't hold an edge at all. I expect it was full of micro cracks and didn't have any edge stability.

Not questioning you at all, but isn't 80crv2 in the 10XX class? Just curious...
The Cr is chromium and the V is vanadium. Both of them can produce carbides, which can affect the quenching mechanisms. the vanadium is a grain refiner. The chromium is the one that has the biggest affect on required quench speed, though. If you look at the TTT chart, 80CrV2 is an 11 second quenching oil steel due to the alloying.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the 80crv2. There are quite a few sources on the web likening it to 1084 and such. Glad to have friendly and knowledgeable people here to help explain these things better!

Thanks for all the great info dogs! Is there any steels that you would recommend or think would work quenching in peanut oil?
Every knife maker on every form of social media that answers the oil question always says "buy proper quench oil" does so because they regret having wasted time, effort, and money on the other stuff.

So instead of wasting the time and materials on even a couple of knives and substandard quenching, you can spend as little as a couple hundred dollars and have the right oils to quench any steel you choose, unrestrained from using what might give marginal results at best.

Buying oil is the cheaper option. I know it doesn't seem that way. I used deep fryer oil myself. I was wrong.

So, I bit the bullet and ordered some parks 50. Does this oil need to be heated to a certain temperature to quench blades?

And you may not even NEED AAA for O1 or 5160. AAA is kind of a "medium fast" oil. Quicker than Rotella, Texaco, etc. I think it is like 11-13 second oil depending on where you heat it to. P#50 is a 7 second oil. AAA is similar to the Brownell tough quench which, IIRC, is a repackaged Houghton oil (K or Q, can't remember which) or the McMaster Carr stuff.

Only if it is cold outside. The operating range of Parks 50 is 50 F to 120 F. Parks AAA needs to be heated. The data sheets are posted on the forum here. I recommend downloading and reviewing them.
Like Casey said, only in the winter. LOL They keep dropping the low temp on that stuff. It used to be 90, then 70, now 50. AAA and others like it work best at like 120-130. They are 11 second oils at that temp. At the high and low temps of their effective range which is typically like 100 and 180, they are slower, like 13 seconds. One great thing about #50 is that it is at room temp and not giving off any vapor from being heated, so much less likely for the surface of your quench tank to burst into flames. :eek:

Back