1x30 Platen

starwyvern

Hello,

I recently purchased a Harbor Freight 1x30 grinder.

Is there anyone on here that sells a modified longer platen then what comes stock on the machine?

I would be interested in purchasing one.

Thanks!

You could easily heat treat and temper a piece of inexpensive 10XX steel and weld, JB Weld, bolt, or otherwise fasten to the existing stamped steel platen you have. You could also use non-hardened flat stock and attach a ceramic glass platen liner for an excellent upgrade in flatness & heat management. “Little Bear Knives” sells 1x30 glass.

If I remember my HF 1x30 correctly, the stock platen is simply a piece of mild steel with a 90 degree bend and two holes drilled to attach it to the grinder. Just get a piece of inch wilde 1/8' thick mild and put a 90 in it. You can make it as long as you wish. I would use mild because the 1x30 does not have enough torque or RPM to significanly abrade a platen quickly IMO. Use the bend in your current platen as a guide for the new one.

If I remember my HF 1x30 correctly, the stock platen is simply a piece of mild steel with a 90 degree bend and two holes drilled to attach it to the grinder. Just get a piece of inch wilde 1/8' thick mild and put a 90 in it. You can make it as long as you wish. I would use mild because the 1x30 does not have enough torque or RPM to significanly abrade a platen quickly IMO. Use the bend in your current platen as a guide for the new one.

He wouldn't need to replace the existing one, just attach his new platen on top of the old one. No fab required, and he can utilize the existing adjustability of the stock platen mount. I did this exact thing with a 2x42 and it was super easy.

He wouldn't need to replace the existing one, just attach his new platen on top of the old one. No fab required, and he can utilize the existing adjustability of the stock platen mount. I did this exact thing with a 2x42 and it was super easy.
That would work as well. I would just make one, but that is me. Its been a long time since I used a 1x30 but I remember liking the little "slack belt" area above the platen so I never made mine longer. I did however, remove the workrest "table" which more than likely gave me more useable platen area lower on the machine.

Last edited:
Back