2 inch drum sander

Von Gruff

KNIFE MAKER
I have been trying to find a 2 inch drum sanding mandrel and the apropriate sanding drums so I can use it in my drill press. When I have been doing the curve backed bolsters on my knives I have been holding the pinned together blosters and finalising the curve on the 2 inch contact wheel on belt grinder but there is a possibility of getting the curve slightly off square to the flat doing it this way so having the bolsters sitting block square to the drill shaft and feeding the bolster to the drum would ensure perfect square to the face curves and make fitting the handles to the curve so much more accurate. Have looked on ebay (and the chinese site where I often get things) and only seen them in smaller sizes.
Have thought of getting a madrel made and contact glueing sandpaper to it
What does everybody else use to sand inside curves and keep them square to the flat?

I have a spindle sander left over from my longbow making days. I just wish I could find some silicone carbide or maybe ceramic sleeves because the AO does not survive long against steel.

I have the same issue, Gruff. I am thinking that the horizontal grinder guys have a good solution. Even if I don’t turn my grinder horizontally I think making a tool rest that comes in from the side will afford me the same things I’ll just be working vertically, but squareness will be maintained.

Thanks guys. I will get something from supergrit. I had only been seeing kits etc but only up to 1 1/2 on my searches.

Back