2011 Leatherwork of Distinction

leatherman

Sheath Forum Moderator
Hey everyone, first off let me thank y'all for making this one of the best sheath making forums on the internet! One of the easiest to moderate and one with the largest pool of talent I have seen anywhere. Congrats to all!

I need a favor. I am searching over the threads of the past year looking for outstanding examples of the craft. I have a set of names that stick out for me, but I need pics and more names. Please post what you think are the best of the best of the year, those that stuck out and said WOW!

Dave Cole, well this goes without saying, he contributed to his forum way beyond my expectations and I miss him greatly. I know he put out some amazing work this year so I need pics!

Sandy, what more can be said, he is the only true master among us, bar none.

Kid Terico, the sheer volume and skill of this fellow is amazing, what sheaths stick out the most? I know, among the dozens he posted. Sheaths, not holsters. :)

Paul Long, he can't do anything but outstanding work, but, what stands out among the pearls?

Chuck Burrows, Wild Rose Trading Company, none better at recreating the old style, often copied never duplicated.

MORE!!! I know theres stuff here I am missing! Lots more. Lets see those outstanding examples of the leather craft!

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Thanks Dwayne,
This should give us plenty of contenders in the Leatherwork category of this years KnifeDog Members Choice Awards.
The winner will recieve prestige and a free personal forum for one year (a $100.00 value) as well as the first Dave Cole Memorial Plaque to be proudly displayed in their shop and at shows.

Thanks,
Steve

Thank you Steve, I know the pics will flow. :)

The Dave Cole Memorial I think will become an institution around here, if only for what he has done for this forum and what he has done for the craft in general. He was one of the first to take me under his wing and show me what a craftsman needs to do to become something in this industry. I am a full time sheath maker and owe so much to Dave for what I am today. Through Dave, I got to know the best of us all and my adoptive father Sandy, I owe it all to you two, and I can never repay what I have gleaned from you. I only wish I could live closer.

This is one of yours.........

Attachments

• Hon Sanmai Tanto 001.jpg
    Hon Sanmai Tanto 001.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Hon Sanmai Tanto 002.jpg
    Hon Sanmai Tanto 002.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Hon Sanmai Tanto 004.jpg
    Hon Sanmai Tanto 004.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Hon Sanmai Tanto 013.jpg
    Hon Sanmai Tanto 013.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 12
This is one of yours.........

Attachments

• Hon Sanmai Tanto 001.jpg
    Hon Sanmai Tanto 001.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Hon Sanmai Tanto 002.jpg
    Hon Sanmai Tanto 002.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Hon Sanmai Tanto 003.jpg
    Hon Sanmai Tanto 003.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 8
  • Hon Sanmai Tanto 013.jpg
    Hon Sanmai Tanto 013.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 7
Leather man thanks for thinking of me. Here are just a few made for me by Dave Cole. This shows what he could really do. He was and is a true artist, The sheath was made for the BROADWELL knife Dave Broadwell was kind enough to send me the wood for the inlay to match the sheath .KT

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I pulled the above pics and will add them to the nominations.

The nominations will closed about 6:00 PM CST so if there are any others please post them directly to the nomination thread.

Steve

Much better than last year, when embarrassingly, I knew nothing of it. :nothing:

I'll do the same thing next year, and if this months pictures were any indication we will have some amazing entries! :35:

Thanks to everyone who entered pics and leather workers!!!!!!

I don't know what to say...THANK YOU just doesn't seem to say enough for the new award in Dave's memory. For those entered, I wish you the best of luck. I know Dave is looking down and wishing everybody the best of luck. I would like to see pictures of the awards won. Thank you once again for thinking of Dave and having this award in his memory.

Linda,
It didn't take even a second to make it so, there is no question how much Dave has influenced the sheath making community, the award is a very small thank you.

Back