Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Chuck Gedraitis

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Craig

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to nominate Calvin Robinson for this one.
attachment.php

This category was tough. There is at least one, maybe a couple, that I feel should have been in the 'tactical' category but no matter.

I always try to vote for a knife based on 'best' as the categories imply and leave my personal tastes out of it. I think that's the only fair way. A knife for 'best' should be judged on quality of materials, execution, fit and finish and difficulty of building and how well it was pulled off. At least in my opinion.

Also, I wanted to mention that I personally have a hard time with things that are added by another person such as engraving, checkering, inlay and such. That to me really skews the consideration for the knife. Not that I wouldn't choose it as a winner but I try to look past that and vote for the knife alone. If it comes down to a sole authorship piece or a piece with nice engraving or other such embellishment by someone else that makes the knife what it is, I'll vote for the sole authorship piece every time. That's just personal preference and no slam against those makers at all.

With all that said, this was tough because there were two I could have voted for easily. Craig's slipjoint was extremely clean and well executed with great fit and finish. And Ed Caffrey's mosaic and 416 stainless san mai would be very difficult to achieve and Ed did a great job on pulling that off so well. Both knives are spectacular. I very reluctantly cast my vote for Ed for the simple fact that its' so very unique looking and has a 'high end gem like' quality to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back