2022 Knife in the Hat, Well it's getting to be that time of year

Here is a link to my pics thread...

Gene, I am way behind posting any progress, however I have been making progress.
I have been playing around with the design for a while and decided it was time make a Nessmuk style knife. So here it goes ...
Starting with some 1084, 1-1/2" wide 3/16" thick
1084 steel.jpgpattern1.jpg
forged to shape, ground to profile,
forged.jpgProfiled1.jpg
Bevels ground you can see the steel had some pitting I hadn't counted so I had stop forging and grind more than I had wanted. Clayed, ready for differential hardening.
bevel grinding1.jpgClayed 1.jpg
Out of the oven after two cylces at 400 deg. Let the hand sanding begin.
Tempered1.jpghandsanding1.jpg
Dovetailed Bolsters are peened and scales are epoxied in place, handle is about 90% shapedbolster and scales1.jpgshaped.jpg

with a week to go for the deadline I have a way to go, Time to get back to work.

Gene, I am way behind posting any progress, however I have been making progress.
I have been playing around with the design for a while and decided it was time make a Nessmuk style knife. So here it goes ...
Starting with some 1084, 1-1/2" wide 3/16" thick
View attachment 82215View attachment 82219
forged to shape, ground to profile,
View attachment 82218View attachment 82220
Bevels ground you can see the steel had some pitting I hadn't counted so I had stop forging and grind more than I had wanted. Clayed, ready for differential hardening.
View attachment 82216View attachment 82217
Out of the oven after two cylces at 400 deg. Let the hand sanding begin.
View attachment 82221View attachment 82222
Dovetailed Bolsters are peened and scales are epoxied in place, handle is about 90% shapedView attachment 82223View attachment 82225

with a week to go for the deadline I have a way to go, Time to get back to work.
Looking good. No hurry on my end, take your time.

Well, I am finally done, seems like everything has conspired to get in the way of finishing.
Lets pick up where I left off, sanded and a first look at the curly maple.

first look.jpg

Time to make a sheath, drew the pattern and transferred it to the leather, swivel knife cuts done, carving almost done, ready to put it together.

Time to make a sheath.jpg swivel cuts.jpgcraving almost done.jpg
sharpening and polishing done, the hamon revealed. A hamon1.jpg
All together and done just need to get it boxed and in the mail.
sheathed1.jpg side 2.1.jpg finished.jpg

Back