2nd & 3rd knife attempts

Colin

A Christmas gift for my niece. My first attempt at an acid etch finish, pretty certain i didn’t get it cleaned good enough causing the unevenness towards the handle. The second is a little chopper I made just to use in the kitchen to see how the edge held up, the wife quickly latched onto it, now I’ve been ordered to make a whole set. I think I might be in over my head!?!?

Attachments

• B19BB4D7-8BCB-4A74-B22A-565E5053944E.jpeg
    B19BB4D7-8BCB-4A74-B22A-565E5053944E.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 4879FCA1-B18E-4250-80CB-FCFCC072DCF2.jpeg
    4879FCA1-B18E-4250-80CB-FCFCC072DCF2.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 50
Colin, looks like you are off to a good start. That first knife on the right there does look like it had some issues with cleanliness. The lighter colored sideways “v” shape line appears to be from heat treat. Before etch, I like to give them a good scrub with soap and water, then with denatured alcohol, then etch. I use ferric chloride. Don’t etch them too long. Take it out every couple minutes and wash all the black crud off with running water and then etch again till it’s the way you want. Keep up the good work.

Colin, looks like you are off to a good start. That first knife on the right there does look like it had some issues with cleanliness. The lighter colored sideways “v” shape line appears to be from heat treat. Before etch, I like to give them a good scrub with soap and water, then with denatured alcohol, then etch. I use ferric chloride. Don’t etch them too long. Take it out every couple minutes and wash all the black crud off with running water and then etch again till it’s the way you want. Keep up the good work.
Thank you! I read up on cleaning them on here aft that attempt and tried dawn and warm water on the little one, it came out much more even, just one pesky spot, I made sure to wear rubber gloves to avoid touching the blade after cleaning. thank You for the advice, it’s much appreciated!

Back