2nd knife sold with box.

Mark Barone

I really didn’t intend to sell knives but people ask. This man collects them and wants to pass them on to his son. I’m getting good at the skinner so I said you can have any knife you want as long as it’s a skinner. I took my cue from Ford. I gave him a choice of materials and he chose bar stock Damascus, Zebra Wood and a little star pin. I forgot where I saw someone had his boxes made for knives. I bought some 1/2 inch poplar , made a simple box and used a propane torch to burn the wood. My sharpening skills are still subpar but I cut myself with it so I must be getting better. Critique is always welcome. One thing I see is the space around the star pin could be tighter. 5E105819-A8F9-482D-A144-3FFC0B2AB6F2.jpeg

Thanks Chris. I almost wish I didn’t ask him what he wanted. I think he would have trusted me. One thing I would have used was different scales. I think he wanted to match the pattern of the Zebra with the Damascus. I think a contrast would have been better.

Congrat's Mark. That's a good looking blade and the box is a great idea. It just seems better to have the knife in something when the buyer is taking ownership.

Just a couple of suggestions that others gave me at one point. Maybe rounding the ricasso end of your scales somewhat makes a big visual improvement. Since your edge appears to go all the way back to the finger well make sure you dull that sharp corner at the junction if you did not. That is about all I would suggest but that is mainly preference stuff.

That's a good looking over all package. The area around the pins looks like chip out from drilling. Try going slower while drilling, and putting a flat piece of wood under the scales. That way the drill bit does just pop through taking a little bit with it.

Just a couple of suggestions that others gave me at one point. Maybe rounding the ricasso end of your scales somewhat makes a big visual improvement. Since your edge appears to go all the way back to the finger well make sure you dull that sharp corner at the junction if you did not. That is about all I would suggest but that is mainly preference stuff.
Gotcha thanks. Always appreciated. I fixed both before given it to him.

That's a good looking over all package. The area around the pins looks like chip out from drilling. Try going slower while drilling, and putting a flat piece of wood under the scales. That way the drill bit does just pop through taking a little bit with it.
Thanks Ty Actually not the chip out because I sanded past that. What it was... the hole was a bit too small for the pin so I worked the drill bit back and forth a little because I didn’t have a drill bit a smidge bigger. The pin was so small I didn’t want to sand the brass off too much.

Back