2x72 Surface Grinder

Gliden07

To those that have a 2x72 Surface grinder attachment how do you clean the metal dust off of the Magnets. I've been thinking of getting one but was concerned about the build up of filings!!

It's a huge pain... Every time you flip a knife you have to get the chuck super clean. I was fortunate enough to get an on/off chuck from Northridge tool that I mounted to my reeder and it works super well

i-3zCwHHS-X2.jpg

Wait a minute... those 2X72 surface grinder attachments don't have switchable magnets? I wouldn't even consider using one that had a "fixed" magnet. Sounds like a HUGE pain in the butt.

Definitely need a mag chuck. Even then, you have residual magnetism and need to wipe the working surface off.

It's really not that much of a problem. Just wipe the surface with your hand and most will wipe off pretty easy. I filled the magnets with epoxy so the surface is a smooth surface which makes it not a problem to wipe off. I think Reeder has an iron chuck with slots and magnets dropped in. Just slide magnets out to clean. I'm not sure how well that works, but my smooth chuck works just fine and easy to clean.

Josh, what size is that magnet? Thanks! That's a neat danged size.
And, since I'm asking questions, may as well ask how's that A2 wheel is turning out?

Josh, what size is that magnet? Thanks! That's a neat danged size.
And, since I'm asking questions, may as well ask how's that A2 wheel is turning out?
3x12" iirc

It runs great! I can get a decent finish right off of the wheel within a couple of thoun(so I use it for hogging/getting close) then I take to my real surface grinder to finish up!

3x12" iirc

It runs great! I can get a decent finish right off of the wheel within a couple of thoun(so I use it for hogging/getting close) then I take to my real surface grinder to finish up!
Thank you, sir. I’d like to get an SGA some day. Unsurprisingly, you’ve had some good ideas on the topic. :)

Thank you, sir. I’d like to get an SGA some day. Unsurprisingly, you’ve had some good ideas on the topic. :)
The SGA is excellent for some things... I don't like it for finish grinding the flats though. If you already have a grind in the blade or skeletonize your tang then the belt will remove more material where the is less metal contact with the belt and you will get some slight dips there. Nothing bad but you can see it in the right lighting.

Thanks so much

Have you considered building one?

Linear guide rails and bearings aren't very expensive.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Have you considered building one?

What size Guide Rails and Bearings should you use if you build ur own? That's been my issue.

I'll do some research and let you know :) I was looking at 20mm rails. Frankly, I'm not sure what size rails are standard. 25.4mm is 1 inch... two 12mm rails (1/2") would be really rigid.

By the way, if you catch me typing "ridgid" instead of "rigid", blame "Ridgid". I have some of their pipe wrenches (I even have some of the old "Ridge Tool Co." wrenches).

I cover mine with a layer of masking tape. The tape wipes off easily. I also blow it off with my air compressor before I switch the blade. Mine does not have an off switch for the magnet. It's a pain to get the blade off.

Have you considered building one?es or engrave or something.

To be honest, not really. My mill is an ittybitty Taig, and a job like this, while possibly doable, would be maddening.
And the second truth in the matter is I am so feeble that what little shop time I have in me I would rather try to make a couple knives.
I have a regular manual SG, an old Taiwanese import (ENCO) which has stood itself in good stead over 35 years. Alas, for me to SG a blank is a day following of hands and elbows that don't work. Annoying.

Hence I would like one of these SGAs that can hog meat off, but one engineered to do taper in both directions if desired. It is complicated by the fact my grinders are early KMGs and not everything fits those what with the new tilting frames and stacked arms designs. If the economy doesn't crash, and I get to the point it would really help me, I'll likely just purchase one and try and forget I just spent more than either grinder cost new. :)

It is a cool idea, though, I love reading the threads about the builds, and in an earlier day it would have been a fun project I'd have wanted to do. Thanks for the suggestion!

I just picked up some 12mm linear rails/blocks from Amazon yesterday. They are shorter ones (12"), but I was surprised at how solid they felt despite being so inexpensive! Going to use it to set up something to use my dremel to mill guard slots :) Now I am thinking about a SGA :)

Back