3 7/8" slipjoint

K R Johnson

Here's a Lanny's Clip I finished yesterday for an order.
It's @3 7/8" closed, 3/32" CPM 154, pivot bushing, integral bolsters, my dyed and jigged bone.​

K R Johnson

Very nice. Love those scales, nice color, I'd like to dye mine red someday.
Bruce, I soaked those scales in Fiebings red (rouge) oil dye for a long time, took 'em out and wiped off the excess dye with a paper towel. Before they completely dried I dabbed some dark brown oil dye on the jigged surface then set them aside to dry completely.

K R Johnson

Bruce, There's a store 10 miles from me that carries it in quarts and if he doesn't have it he'll order it. You can find it on the ever popular auction site too, and the price with shipping looked OK. Buy the oil based, not the alcohol base and you'll want to get the quart size. I mill or grind the bone down to @ 1/8", contour it some, jig it, put it in a peanut butter jar and cover it with dye, screw on the lid and forget about it until I need some scales.
I use shields from Boss Dog's store.

K R Johnson

There are 30 colors to choose from so you can make any blend that suits you.

I color curly maple with the alcohol based version by first coating the wood with dark brown and when that is dry coat it with orange. When it's completely dry. use 0000 steel wool until it looks good.

And BTW, it works on leather too. :biggrin:

Last edited: