33ton log splitter converted to hydraulic press for Damascus

Pretty awesome, wish I had someone to teach me that type of steel working, that looks so traditional and interesting. Please show the piece when it's finished, thanks for the pics.

Wayne

I think everybody's just been busy with the holiday. A few years ago, I built a log splitter from scratch. I used a 5" cylinder, but I don't really know how many tons that would be, but it was a hoss. I don't heat with wood anymore, so it's just been sitting here unused for a quite a while. I've been daydreaming about taking it apart and mounting it vertically higher up off the floor. So, did you change anything on the splitter really? Still using the log splitter valve? Looks like maybe it could be switched from wood to metal work. Is having it horizontal harder to use? Easier? You've really got me daydreaming again.

Thanks,
I Like! I just don't live in a area were I could have a beast machine like that pounding away!:sad:

Its fairly ironic that I just watched your video of your first use of the log splitter about thirty minutes ago. I am considering my options at the moment. While awaiting James Batsons book. I know that the guys from Mad Dwarf Workshop also used a log splitter for a press. I don't remember what the tons were though. I think it is definitely an option and probably a quicker route to having a press.

I always look at these log splitters when I go the ranch and home store. I can see they would work fine with some modifications to tighten up the wobble on the main beam/slider and die holders. The gas motor could be replaced with a 220 volt electric motor for use in quieter neighborhoods like mine. I,ve thought about ordering just the Ibeam and ram setup from the manufacturer to save money.
My friend needs a log splitter and a forging press, he could split wood in the summer and forge steel in the winter if the dies were easy to change out.
The gas powered engine could be mounted outside the shop too with longer hoses and quick connects.
I would want it in the vertical position to save my old back and arms.

Last edited:
Thats a great use of an old log splitter. I however am in the area of wood heat as well and as Bruce said if the manufacturer made an interchangeable press that would be the cats meow.

This converts back to log splitter by removing two bolts - Takes all of 5 minutes. I use it every year to spilt all of my firewood so its truly dual purpose for me.

Super Interesting. I am just starting to think about building a press. 30 to 40 tons seems about right from what I have seen.

For you more experienced Dogs... is there any advantage to a horizontal press???

- J

This converts back to log splitter by removing two bolts - Takes all of 5 minutes. I use it every year to spilt all of my firewood so its truly dual purpose for me.

Pictures................. I got to see this transformer as it goes from splitter to beast! :what!::drool:

I've got a 22ton splitter which I converted, but is sitting waiting for me to see how it works. Would love to see how you modified yours. I actually drilled thru the sharp part and mounted the die holders. took me hours to do that, but it does hold them well. Converting mine back to splitter takes removing a few bolts, but I have time. More pics of your set up please.

Checked out a bunch of your forge welding videos, good stuff! Did you ever make a knife out of the 267 layer billet video? I'd like to see how the pattern ended up.

Self Made - Yes, I did make a knife. If I can find pics, will post.
Wolfe - Controls are not changed in any way. The nice thing about this is the whole setup goes on and off easy and the operation remians the same.

Thanks for looking guys!

Self-Made - Believe this is one of them. On a lot of these, I sandwich a thicker piece into billet towards the end to offer contrast. In this case it was 15N20. Alternatively, can use 1095 and get center to be black.

267.jpg

Back