3D CNC scales in G10 recommend a company

FGYT

Im looking to find a company that can 3D CNC some short runs of scales for military style Fixed blades for me this full sculpt not just profile and round the edge

im in the UK but it sort of makes sense to use a US company as it would save shipping of the Full sheets of G10 and Micarta here to turn most to Dust

Any ideas

ATB

Duncan

Duncan,

Do you already have a 3d file with surfaces (iges or step)? Or do you have a handmade prototype that you need digitized and then machined?

How many sets of each material are you planning to make?

(these are questions any shop will ask you)

Duncan

I have had no experience with this company as it is on your side of the ocean. But, you may want to look at their website and contact them to discuss your options. Just look at their section on knife stuff for the G-10.

http://www.ivoryalternative.com/index.html

DeMo

HI yes they are my Main supplier of small pieces here but they only sell sheet mainly in 6" x 12" UK knife industry for this sort of thing is basically dead I do

have a couple of local machine shops that I may try but that will be a learning curve
I also have the option of buying a small CNC mill that would fit 1pair at a time

But a company already doing similar work would be good I siupect these only exist in USA or far east

Duncan,

Do you already have a 3d file with surfaces (iges or step)? Or do you have a handmade prototype that you need digitized and then machined?

How many sets of each material are you planning to make?

(these are questions any shop will ask you)

Yes im a mechanical Design engineer so happy to talk to them about options for getting the IGES files etc
I will either draw them
or get scanned in the ones I make by hand
or send them to do it depending on how costs work out for each stage

Numbers are small ie runs of 20 sets on a couple of designs hopefully with repeat orders but price may dictate different numbers etc as well as how much prep work on the IGES they do or I need to do to keep set up down if low run numbers etc

As in my post above one option is to buy a small CNC mill and do it myself one set at a time still a lot quicker and more importantly repeatable than by hand even with my jigs etc But its an invetment (not much more than a New grinder) workshop space etc and learning /time

How much work is to be done on each side of the scale? Do you have an idea of what you're hoping to pay for a finished set at the 20 batch if you're providing material? You probably won't get a shop to do any final sanding....specially on g10. It makes the deburring folks disgruntled.....

How much work is to be done on each side of the scale? Do you have an idea of what you're hoping to pay for a finished set at the 20 batch if you're providing material? You probably won't get a shop to do any final sanding....specially on g10. It makes the deburring folks disgruntled.....

do you have a company in mind then I can have the conversation or at least check out a website and what they have don in the past for scales and finsih

Survive knives would be an example of the thing im after im pretty certain they dont do in house

http://surviveknives.com/supplies/knife-handles.html

Mine would start with these for my PArang this done by hand at the moment and hand stippled but a smoothish cnc finish followed by grit blasting for a texture should work

Advantage is it would be a long hand process done out of the shop so should be cost saveing ( eventually)

more importanty all scales would be the same so knives would fit a generically moulded kydex sheath at the moment all these a re Numbered and not to be mixed up
not so good as these are Militarty issue

parangbatchb600.jpg

Sheffield Knifemakers Supply in orange city Fl. makes there own CNC machined G10,you might contact them.
They have pictures of some of their work in adds in Blade magazine.

Last edited:
Back