4 inch Hunter in Elk and Maple

John Wilson

Here are some shop pics of a 4 inch Hunter that I just completed. The theme that the customer wanted was Red, White, and Blue but he wanted it subtle. He didn’t want it to look like Captain America.

For white I went with Elk antler and the red is curly maple that I colored with red mahogany tint. Then the blue liners tie the theme together. Steel is AEBL. I was pleasantly surprised that the antler did well with Tru-Oil because I used a good amount of CA glue during the sanding process.
154AA392-DB96-489C-9DE1-A15D9D8F2BBB.jpeg1A78B243-176B-4C3D-8F29-781A800142F4.jpeg87CC4C83-F6D7-4FA8-BD2E-F6A40D536C03.jpeg

John Wilson

Thank you, Sean. I had never thought of making scales from antler until the last three knives I made and it worked out well. It's a different look for sure- looks more like bone.

John Wilson

That is awesome John. How did the end turn out with the end of the antler showing? No pith?
Great question. Yes the ends were open pith. I sealed the ends with CA as I sanded. I was very happy with how well that worked out to fill the open pores.

soundmind

KNIFE MAKER
Very nice! I like the deep, rich tones, in the dark blue, mohagany, and in the antler. I think you pulled off the red, white, and blue combo, Again very nice!