5 Gal bucket buffer guards

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Had to move some equipment around today, in order to make room for the new Cowboy sewing machine in the finish shop. That meant moving one of the Baldor buffers to the Hot shop....and decided to try this for guards...... took an old plastic 5 gallon bucket, split it lengthwise with a jigsaw, then screwed the halves down with drywall screw..... suprisingly stiff/sturdy. At least it will slow down anything the buffer happens to snag! :)

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
Had to move some equipment around today, in order to make room for the new Cowboy sewing machine in the finish shop. That meant moving one of the Baldor buffers to the Hot shop....and decided to try this for guards...... took an old plastic 5 gallon bucket, split it lengthwise with a jigsaw, then screwed the halves down with drywall screw..... suprisingly stiff/sturdy. At least it will slow down anything the buffer happens to snag! :)

I bet that would work for a dust trap behind my grinder too.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Probably would! Be careful of the sparks! It's very common for me to have to "douse" the rims of the plastic buckets that hang under my grinders..... because they are melting. If you do it for a grinder catch...... I'd use a steel bucket. ;)

Jon Buescher

Probably would! Be careful of the sparks! It's very common for me to have to "douse" the rims of the plastic buckets that hang under my grinders..... because they are melting. If you do it for a grinder catch...... I'd use a steel bucket. ;)
I caught a home depot bucket on fire the other day grinding the poll on an axe I was finishing

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
I did the same thing at the grinder in the hot shop..... it's a single speed 3hp, that I use when grinding angle peen hammers.... and I get on it as hard as it will take. I used some steel flashing... bent it over the rim where the sparks hit..... surprisingly, the thin flashing sometimes gets a light red color in the spot where the sparks are hitting. :)
I certainly think if a person is gona use this bucket method where there are a lot of sparks being produced.... use a steel bucket. If you're anywhere in/near farm/ranch country, you can find tons of steel 5 galloon buckets being thrown out by the farmers/ranchers, and I have even see piles of them behind some of the Farm/Ranch stores in my area. You can get/use metal cutting blades for a jigsaw or sawzall....... easy peesy! :)

Jon Buescher

I did the same thing at the grinder in the hot shop..... it's a single speed 3hp, that I use when grinding angle peen hammers.... and I get on it as hard as it will take. I used some steel flashing... bent it over the rim where the sparks hit..... surprisingly, the thin flashing sometimes gets a light red color in the spot where the sparks are hitting. :)
I certainly think if a person is gona use this bucket method where there are a lot of sparks being produced.... use a steel bucket. If you're anywhere in/near farm/ranch country, you can find tons of steel 5 galloon buckets being thrown out by the farmers/ranchers, and I have even see piles of them behind some of the Farm/Ranch stores in my area. You can get/use metal cutting blades for a jigsaw or sawzall....... easy peesy! :)
angle grinder! I cut steel roofing for a barn I built yesterday with an angle grinder

Jon Buescher

what are the shotgun shells there for?

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Oh.....those are a small part of my steel shot shell hoard. :) I love watching Blade do his thing, so we hunt a lot of waterfowl....when my body allows.