6" contact wheel recommendation

Taz575

My current 6" contact wheel on my combo platen has a ton of wear, 2 large grooves in the surface and smaller ribbing after a little over a year of hobby use. Most of the use is profiling out and shaping handles with a little contact wheel profiling, but I dont think it should look this bad already! It uses 1/2" bolt for a shaft so I am looking at the usaknifemaker poly 6" wheel to replace it. Any other options out there that arent crazy expensive?20220506_191606.jpg

It could, but it would keep doing it. Its softer than most other wheels. Never seen wear like this in a wheel after less than 18 months of hobby use.

Sunray will make you one out of polyurethane for a great price... Shoot they may even strip and refinish that for even cheaper. Just specify that you want minimum runout on the concentricity of the wheel.

Looking to buy a wheel so I am not down my grinder while it's out getting redone. I have the combo platen and need the wheel to even flat grind.

If you don't mind taking the crown off a wheel before you can use it -

Standard Wheels, with Roller Bearing, Red, 6" Diameter x 2" Wide

Edit: you can also get different durometer wheels like this for the same price.

They have these wheels in 4, 5, 6, and 8 inch diameter.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I wanted to update everyone about this. I went back through and made up a magnetic platen so I can swap platen faces. While doing so, I saw that the platen backer for my pyroceream glass platen had some rubber on the bottom and there was a gouge on the back side that matched where the rib is sticking up towards the right of the wheel. It looks like it slipped back and the sharp edge of the platen backer scraped down the wheel. I refaced the wheel and it's been running well ever since! I also cut some off of the bottom of the platen so if it gets bumped in again, it still won't hit the wheel!

I wanted to update everyone about this. I went back through and made up a magnetic platen so I can swap platen faces. While doing so, I saw that the platen backer for my pyroceream glass platen had some rubber on the bottom and there was a gouge on the back side that matched where the rib is sticking up towards the right of the wheel. It looks like it slipped back and the sharp edge of the platen backer scraped down the wheel. I refaced the wheel and it's been running well ever since! I also cut some off of the bottom of the platen so if it gets bumped in again, it still won't hit the wheel!
Magnetic plate? That seems like a hazard and a collector of swarf.

It works great! I use several rare earth magnets on my normal mild steel platen and then have the other platens on different metal backing plates. Leathers different hardness of felt, pyroceream glass, radius platen and a mild steel platen. Works great so far, ground several knoves, no issues and minimal metal dust buildup on the magnets too!

Back