600 Grit Satin Finish

Randy Lucius

Trying to do a 600 grit satin finish for the first time. Still working on technique but it looks like it's turning out ok. Anybody have any tips or tricks to make it better.
I went to 800 grit and then back down to 600. Is there any benefit in going higher than 800?

S1ee.jpg

S2ee.jpg

Is there any benefit in going higher than 800?

That depends entirely on what your endgame is and what you're trying to accomplish/highlight.

This looks like a decent finish from what I can tell from the pics. They're not the best pics to determine how fine/even the finish is or if there are still visible stray scratches.

But almost no pic is ideal for that. Look at it closely in person in several types of light (sunlight, fluorescent, incandescent). Roll it around in the light and look from all angles. Are you happy with it? Can you identify trouble areas or things you missed or things that can be improved upon?

Thanks John. It's hard to get a good photo but it looks evenly finished to me. I try to look at my work in as many light sources and angles as I can. Different light will sure show different defects. Had a friend look at it this morning and he likes it but you know friends can be too kind sometimes.

Looks good to me. I would not go over 800 then back to 600 for a satin finish. If I was going to etch a hamon out I like to hand sand to 1200 then etch and polish, etch and polish, etch and polish you get it. I really do not do many mirror finishes but the few I have done I hand sanded to 1200 then switched to increasing buffing compounds until I like it.

Thanks Chris! Haven't done hamon yet but it's on my project list. May hit ya up for some advice on it when the time comes.

Looks beautiful to me. I don't see any fishhooks. See I'm learning the lingo. what grit did you take it up to on the belt before you started hand sanding?

Back