6150 Spring Steel For Sale

Hello Everyone. I have recently become the proud new owner of 14 or so tons of high quality super clean 6150. It's cold rolled and annealed. I have many widths and thickness available and will be adding more in the next few days. I am selling in 48" lengths. I offer three shipping options. They are 12" for $15, 24" for $20 and 48" for $variable. For the 12 and 24 inches the shipping rate doesn't change even if you purchase a hundred pounds. This is the best I was able to come up with to help keep track of stock while offering three size options. The place to look and buy is Blade6150.com. Please let me know if you have any questions. Asking here will of course help others with similar questions, but do feel free to contact me directly through the website.
steel_racks_two.jpgstacks_1.jpg20210224_174122.jpg

Its not a steel I have used before but if you want to volunteer a sample for testing I will make a big chopper out of it and beat the crap out of it and post the results and heat treat process here. Might be a fun project. Shoot me a PM if you wish.

Typical Chemistry
Carbon0.50%
Manganese0.80%
Silicon0.30%
Chromium1.00%
Vanadium0.15%

Hardening: (Atmosphere or Vacuum Furnace).
Preheat: 1200-1250F (650-675C), equalize.
High Heat: 1550-1650F (845-900C), soak 10 to 30 minutes. For vacuum hardening, use the high side of the high heat range and soak times.
Quench: Oil quench to hand warm, 150F (65C). Temper immediately. Note vacuum furnaces must have oil quench capability.
Temper: Tempering at 400-1200 (205-650C) for 1 hour per inch (25mm) of thickness at temperature is recommended. (2 hrs min.). Air cool to room temperature.​

So I figured today not having any info from shop supplying my 6150 i'd just reach out to the folks that do their heat treating. That's peters heat treat in meadville pa. Spoke with Brad in the blade department. He is very familiar with my source as well as with the steel itself. He said they've been heat treating this particular steel for this company for 20+ years. He said the same thing I've been saying. "It will make an excellent blade". He recommended 20 minutes at 1550 to 1600 then oil quench around 300 i believe. There was a ton of info coming very quickly.

Yosam has been nice enough to send a sample for me to test so I figured maybe do a thread on testing and stuff for this steel which I have never used. There is also not a lot of info on the web about the steel so it will be fun to see what happens. I plan on doing some realistic testing (think ABS Performance testing) and then maybe some stupid stuff for fun. Any how thanks to Yosam.

I will try to make it cool. It will be two weeks before I can start though because its Masters Tournament time after next week. That means Chris gets his Cowboy leather sewing machine in three weeks!

I will verify that Yosam is a real vendor. I received my box of steel today. I have had a prototype bushcraft machete in my mind for a while so I think that is what I will make for a tester. He also sent me enough so I can make some test coupons and nail down a HT. I will post grain pics and stuff. Gonna be cool. The steel was really well packaged too, thats a plus.

I have finally been given a chemical composition. Guess they're finally tired of me asking. I've been trying for over a month now. I asked today and he was back in under a minute. lol. I don't even work there and still have to hound the boss for results. Good stuff. So the %'s are as expected. Nothing abnormal here. Getting 60 hrc does take some effort, but is 100% achievable. Soak a little longer quench a little cooler etc.

Certificate_6150.jpg

Last edited:
Back