A couple of recent knives

Cazador

The first is a small recurve. It is my first recurve and my first attempt at a kind of, sort of, faded plunge. The OAL of the knife is about 8” with a cutting edge of approximately 3.5”. The blade steel is CPM154 flat ground with a satin finish. The blade also has an unsharpened swedge. The handle is made of black and charcoal gray G10 with 3 carbon fiber pins. Good, bad, or indifferent, I like the way this one turned out well enough that I'm having it professionally photographed.
IMG_1647.JPGIMG_1648.JPGIMG_1646.JPGIMG_1649.JPG

The next knife is a folder that I've been working on off and on for the last month or so. It is modeled after the folder I made in Jim Minnick’s folder class almost 3 years ago. I’ve made some of the same design but never with the bolster which was how the original was made. This knife measures about 5 inches closed. Open it measures approximately 8 ¾”. The blade is approximately 3 ¾”. The bolsters are mirror finished 416 stainless steel. The handle material is Richlite from Masecraft that was taken to 1500 grit and buffed. The blade is .118 AEB-L with a satin finish, filework on the spine, running on bearings. I used a backspacer with some jimping versus the standoffs that were used in the original knife made in class. Overall I'm pleased with how it turned out. However, the fit and finish isn’t exactly where I want it. For example, the blade when closed is slightly off center, but doesn’t rub on the liners and the handle screws are exactly the same depth. Part of my issue with F&F on folders is that I will need to go to an written order of operations to avoid forgetting certain steps and then having to go back and try to correct it without screw something else up. The last picture which is not that great, is the knife I completed in Jim's class.
IMG_1622.JPGIMG_1628.JPGIMG_1642.JPGIMG_1643.JPGIMG_1641.JPGFolder Minnick Original.jpg

Back