a few knives and sheaths...

bladegrinder

So I finished up a few knives and finally got to make sheathes for them on my new Cowboy 4500 sewing machine. these are my first {real} sheathes off that machine, I got to say I love this machine but man...it takes some practice running this thing. I'm getting better with it now that I've got a pile of thread cuttings and stitched up scrap under it!
and I'm really liking making pancake holsters, something I always put off because I didn't want to do all that hand stitching.

first up is a small skinner with a gut hook, AEBL blade with Bacote scales, red liners, nickel bins and lanyard hole.
lQheiqT.jpg

73qKxW8.jpg

93eC3xF.jpg

Next is the same model knife, AEBL blade, 416 bolsters, bone scales with red liners, nickel silver pins and lanyard hole.
LpPLqZ6.jpg

JUiFQKo.jpg

JUm6Fr2.jpg

Next is a hunter-skinner with CPM-154 blade, Thuya burl scales with red liners, nickel silver pins and lanyard hole.
ba8HTgH.jpg

2nBwukL.jpg

so3m3IH.jpg

And last, a camp-belt knife with Alabama Damascus, African Blackwood bolsters, Desert Ironwood scales with black liners, nickel silver pins and lanyard hole.
wBwbceO.jpg

olpKSiF.jpg

TqkCUSZ.jpg

Some of the leather looks different, I ran out of my Herman Oak good stuff and had to fall back on a import shoulder piece I had stashed away.
none of these sheaths had any dye or stain put on them. they were treated with a couple coats of neatsfoot oil and set out in the sun for a suntan.
here is a picture to show how dramatic just oil and sun can be.
exwX2mv.jpg

I hate doing 1/16" pins but I love looking at them! Beautiful work. I really love that piece of bocote.
That machine stitches wonderfully. And the effect of the sun with the oil darkening the leather is rather "flabbergasting". Had no clue. Thanks!

I'm REALY not a fan of "gut hooks" as I consider them totally useless, but that's me. Other than that those knives and the sheaths are outstanding pieces of work.

Doug

I'm REALY not a fan of "gut hooks" as I consider them totally useless, but that's me. Other than that those knives and the sheaths are outstanding pieces of work.

Doug
I'm not a big fan either Doug. I think the...wow-cool factor of zipping open an animal is what attracts people to them. personally I've only found them useful for skinning out legs on an animal but properly using a drop point blade upside down does the same thing.
I make them once in a while but what got me to make these is an old Shrade I've had for over 35 years and recently found it again. I loved this knife when I first got it so I copied it and made two new ones in my eyes. here's the original...
ppNzZE5.jpg

Back