A Knife For My Father

PolishAvenger

So, my dad is a retired machinist, occasional knife maker, and former IPSC champion in the state of Washington. He's made blades for a handful of family and friends over the years. He's the one who started me on my path of appreciation for the sharp and pointy. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer several years ago....stage 4. He is currently the last surviving member of a trial program in Seattle. He's brave, his spirit is indomitable, and I'm glad he's hung around long enough to see the birth of his great grand daughter and my marriage to a woman who really cares that she's my wife.

Anyway, a couple of months ago he asked me to make him a hunter. I have the understanding that he will never use it. It will sit on a shelf or in one of his knife drawers, or hang on a wall.....and it just doesn't matter. He wanted my work. And he wanted to encourage me. He wanted to be a "customer" (I would never take a cent from him), and to show his support, and I love him for it. It's my sixth knife, I think, and my second sheath. Full flat grind, 154CM at 58RC, black paper micarta scales, stainless pins. I learned a lot, and will continue to do so.

Thanks, Pop...for everything.

Attachments

• IMG_20221109_151748726.jpg
    IMG_20221109_151748726.jpg
    982.3 KB · Views: 42
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I'm grateful for having this space to share.
Have a wonderful holiday season.

-Mark

Back