A Mornings Work

These Euros look interesting.

Finally got a morning to spend a few hours in the shop. Have a few profiled out ready for HT. One Japanese and one Western are 52100, the rest are W-2. Sure feels good to be in the shop again!!!

http://s908.photobucket.com/albums/ac283/diamondgknives/?action=view&current=chefsknives11-05-11.jpg

Looking for opinions and design suggestions.

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Mike, I like the basic outline of those euros Chef knives.
I am curious were you plan on dropping in the reicasso? Bolster or no bolster?

The drawing looks like your headed for a bolster. I stopped useing brass bolsters many years ago and form it out of the handle.

It always feels great to be in my shop!

Laurence
rhinoknives

Laurence
Im planning on using 416 Pinned Bolsters.
I have no problem with using brass, just dont feel its right for a chefs knife since it is fairly reactive.
Im going with 304 screw rivits on the handle, since there is some space between the handle and the bolster Im hoping there wont be much of a contrast between the 416 and the 304.

Do you make a bolster out of other handle material, or just shape the top of the handle? Ive done that in the past, but have never tried a bolster. Here is a small chef thats my version of a Sabatier, it will have a bolster also.

http://s908.photobucket.com/albums/ac283/diamondgknives/?action=view&current=SmallChef.jpg

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

I've done both Mike,

The 4-5" Rhino Hunter I use to make a lot of had Micarta bolsters and then Hardwood or another kind of micarta after that.
The bolster was held on by the front Loveless style bolts that I use on 95% of what I make.

I found that white brass was less reactive that Yellow, With Stainless still the best as you are using.

The longer I make knives the less I see the need for them, Especially on culinary knives were they can add a lot of weight..
I feel there a hold over from sword guards. They still can look quite attractive on certain knives though.

Back