A piggyback sheath

Von Gruff

KNIFE MAKER
I have just made a pattern for a piggyback sheath that will have the big game hunter in the main sheath with a field scalpel in the piggy back. It will have a set of chicago screws to fix a strap that will go through the belt loop of the field scalpel sheath and round the main sheath so that it can be taken off and used as a single sheath in its own right. I will get one put together together with the two knives next week to show here. This will be a first of this concept for me and I want to offer one that is not as bulky as some I have seen

+1, I've been wanting to try a piggyback but I haven't come up with a design that isn't too bulky and awkward

This came about because I was asked if I would do one for a customer of one of my (stretched in both the handle and blade length) safari hunters with a field scalpel so I started looking for design ideas. Initially I thought to sew a single skin with welt to the outside of the main sheath although that means a permanent pairing of the two, but I think there needs to be an option to seperate the two, so two individual sheaths were the idea I worked arround and believe it or not, this is the pic I found that gave me the start to what I would do as the request was specifically for a square bottomed main sheath. I will see how it makes up to my (slightly upgraded - lol) take on this design as to whether I continue with the square bottom or transition to a more traditional shape. While they will be sent off as a single unit, they will both be individual sheaths that can simply be seperated if desired.
nXvXfQ9l.jpg

Last edited:
I still want to make a few tweaks but this is essentially what I will be doing. Cant see any way to make it any smaller and still have the detachable scalple sheath.
nZKhgBCl.jpg

BZGCn25l.jpg

I0v1PDql.jpg

OwuMgkwl.jpg

hV0qCOql.jpg

EjvynWxl.jpg

That doesn't look overly large to me. The ability to have it either/or is very nice. really like that design! Both knives are very nice...that little one looks like you could shave with it!

Thanks Ted. I am going to re-shape the outer ends of the belt loops by skiving the double thickness down to a single thickness at the very end. Am also going to make another sheath with a fixed scalpel sheath as an option to make it a little less thick but away hunting for a couple of days to see if I can get a couple of my personal knives bloody.

Back