A Special Knife

Randy Lucius

My youngest son who is 30 had a rough year in 2017. He was diagnosed with chronic leukemia. Normal white cell blood count is 5-10,000. When he was admitted to the hospital his was 349,000. The head oncologist at UT Memphis said we probably would have found him dead of a stroke or a heart attack within a couple of days. Since it was chronic and not acute leukemia he didn't have to go through radiation or chemo. Thank God for that. He's doing fine now and getting married in a couple of weeks. I wanted to do something special for him so I made a knife without him knowing and sent it to Lori Ristinen to have it scrimshawed. We had talked to her last year at the Blade Show. She agreed to do it and have it on her table this year for Chris to "find". It was a big surprise for him and Lori and I got a kick out of seeing his face. Clyde is Chris' favorite squirrel dog and named after my favorite childhood dog. Lori is an amazing artist and a really sweet person. I hope to have more of her work someday.

The knife with the picture I sent Lori.
cl2.jpg

cl1.jpg

This a picture I took of one pictures in her album. Sorry for the poor quality but it amazing in person
e1.jpg

Wow. what a heart touching story. Only a father can see is such a way and your story pulls at this father's heart!!

As to the knife and the scrimshaw, why both are outstanding. I have tried a little hand as engraving on bone with a foredom and weeeeeeeell lets just say I need a whole lot more practice. To see that kind of outstanding work, gives me hope I may one day be able to do something I am proud to show!

I imagine that was something to see your son's face when he discovered the knife!!!

What an awesome knife and tricked out way to present it to him, he had to be on cloud 9 the rest of the day.

Back