AEBL

Walt2

Wondering if some one has ever compared AEBL edge retention to CPM154. Better or about the same?

About the same. I have made hunters from both and a lot of kitchen knives from both. AEB-L will take a slightly finer edge. CPM154 will hold its sharpest edge slightly longer. Both will hold a working edge for a very, very long time. In real life kitchen use you'll probably not notice any actual difference. On a hunting knife, depending on geometry, the knife in CPM154 will probably take more abuse. CPM154 has slightly better stain resistance than AEB-L.

They are both wonderful steels. I prefer AEB-L for kitchen knives. If toughness were the main goal, then I'd use CPM154.

About the same. I have made hunters from both and a lot of kitchen knives from both. AEB-L will take a slightly finer edge. CPM154 will hold its sharpest edge slightly longer. Both will hold a working edge for a very, very long time. In real life kitchen use you'll probably not notice any actual difference. On a hunting knife, depending on geometry, the knife in CPM154 will probably take more abuse. CPM154 has slightly better stain resistance than AEB-L.

They are both wonderful steels. I prefer AEB-L for kitchen knives. If toughness were the main goal, then I'd use CPM154.
I have used a lot of CPM154 but none of the AEBL.

AEB-L is very good stuff. It's the primary steel I use anymore unless I am doing something specific that requires something for that purpose. For an all-around stainless it is hard to beat.

Opaul you will really like it. AEB-L can be a little quirky to sharpen on belts until you get the hang of it. Aside from that, I haven't found anything about it that I don't like.

Back