Alternative name for Axis Lock?


Well-Known Member
Hey everyone

I really enjoy the Axis lock that Benchmade uses and I know a number of other knife manufacturers are also using this lock style now that the original patent has expired. Benchmade has a trade mark on the “Axis lock” so I’m wondering what is the general or generic term used for this kind of lock? I have heard barrel lock used but I am not sure if this is a common way to describe it?

The reason I ask is I am attempting my own folder using this style of lock and I’d like to try and use the right terminology without doing whilst respecting Benchmade’s TM.

What would you call it if you couldn’t use axis lock?