Amboyna Burl with Hamon

Love it! Both blade and handle are gorgeous. How was the amboyna to work with?
Kevin this is the first time I have worked with it and hope to work with more. It smells wonderful- almost spicey. It sands well and starts to take on a burnished finish around 500 grit.

nice.
I love working with amboyna. It smells great and always looks awesome. It does curl and move bad tho, even stabilized.
I always really pour the tung oil to it to make the chatoyance really pop.

nice.
I love working with amboyna. It smells great and always looks awesome. It does curl and move bad tho, even stabilized.
I always really pour the tung oil to it to make the chatoyance really pop.
I haven't heard that! Thanks for the advise. The finish on it now is sanded to 800 with hand was and buff. I'll try the finish with tung oil.

Pure tung oil takes weeks to cure. Try Danish oil by Deft or Watco. It's mostly all tung oil with some evaporants to help cure in a day.

Thanks guys! I had my ups and downs on this one. It is almost the finished ‘design’ I had envisioned.
I’m still learning and with the support of this forum continue to do so.
Here is the shop humor. The pins are SS but should have been nickel silver. Wrong size bit and didn’t check it until after quench and heat treat. I had to make ‘custom size’ pins from SSS nails.
Yes Ty I talked to myself more than once on why that happened.

Holly molly Op. I did a Google on the scales. That stuff is expensive. Man,,,, it is nice looking. Once again a very fine knife!

Holly molly Op. I did a Google on the scales. That stuff is expensive. Man,,,, it is nice looking. Once again a very fine knife!

Thank you! I picked that Amboyna when I first started making knives. I’ve been saving it until now, it was a bit expensive.

Back