An early Mtn Man shot bag and powder horn......

ChuckBurrows

Something a bit different in style for me......
The first mountain men came from the east and this set was inspired by those early trappers such as Forest Hancock and Joseph Dickson who went up the Missouri River in 1807 with John Colter, Thomas James who went west with the Lisa expedition, last but far from least Hoback, Reznor, and Edward Robinson who guided the Wilson Price Hunt Expedition of 1811 (Robinson is my kind of frontiersman - he was born in 1745, lost his hair in Kentucky, and his life in Rocky mountains at age 66). The pouch is based on a pic of an original I found on line, but did not note where I got it – Oh Well! The whole set is intended to be my idea of what one of these earliest of mountaineers might have carried during those early years. My version is patterned after that original. It is made from alum tawed sheepskin (I love this stuff!) rather than cowhide like the original, but does have a dark blue plaid wool liner similar to the original. Size is 8.5" wide by 7.5" tall. It has a small exterior pocket for storing greased patches, and a short fringed welt. It has a brain tan buckskin repair along one edge seam, both inside and outside, an inner pocket of brain tan as a later addition, and the strap of bark tan cowhide harness leather is also intended to represent a later replacement - the adjustment buckle is a saddle buckle of the era. On the back is a strap with a bone button that can be tucked under the waist belt or sash to keep the bag from swinging away from one’s body. The flap is closed with a hand made domed brass button. The bit of beadwork is done with blue pound beads similar in color to many originals of the era and is intended to represent what one of the early mountaineers paramours may have added to “fancy” things up a bit – east meets west…. The horn is an original SW Virginia horn (circa 1850’s?) that I got from Capt Mike in a trade. I repaired the small cracks along the butt with a bit of pitch and then covered it over with deer rawhide. I then added an iron ring for the bark tan cowhide harness strap at both ends and can be used alone or attached to the patch strap via a couple of small braintan thongs. The horn can be used alone or attached to the patch strap via a couple of small braintan thongs. The strap is adjustable via the two braintan buckskin thongs on each end. Mated up to the horn are a 70gr antler powder measure and a simple iron touchhole pick attached to the horn via a fine link iron chain, which came off some old (circa 1880’s) harness - the pick and measuer fit into a small pocket on the back of the bag's strap. The whole set was given a patina of age – used but not abused………….

sheep-bag-horn-1-2011.jpg

sheep-bag-horn-4-2011.jpg

sheep-bag-horn-5-2011.jpg

sheep-bag-horn-6-2011.jpg

sheep-bag-horn-7-2011.jpg

sheep-bag-horn-2-2011.jpg

sheep-bag-horn-3-2011.jpg

Mr. Burrows, Breathtaking , I'm in awe. I can see this rig hanging on the side of old Mr. Edward Robinson, an entire lifetime of additions, patches, making due with harness parts and whatever leather goods he could find to get it through another season. Working in bear grease before the winter sets in, a handful of pound beads from time spent with the friendly Injuns. Nights in front of the fire carving on a piece of antler for a "new" measure. I can see this, you are an amazing craftsman , thanks for the trip............Randy

Your attention to authentic detail and possible history is awe inspiring!

The craftsmanship aint bad either :)

Chuck, you outdone yourself on this one! I don't know what else to say.

I've been wanting to make myself a bag for a long time but cant seem to find the time, this makes me want one even more.

Every time I see one of your period pieces I feel like I am stepping back in time. Thank you for posting them. I usually come back and look at least a couple times just to enjoy them.

Thank you all for yor VERY generous comments - they are much appreciated.

Every time I see one of your period pieces I feel like I am stepping back in time. Thank you for posting them. I usually come back and look at least a couple times just to enjoy them.

For me that's what it's all about for me. I am very lucky that I get to make my living (well sort of these days - this economy sucks!) doing what I love most, but it's when that new owner calls or writes and lets me know that I made a "way back machine" for him and I can hear/feel that ear to ear grin - that's the best medicine of all sharing what I love most of all.........

For those who really enjoy this type stuff there are a couple of sites that are just chockfull of some of the finest work around:
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/ - this si a blog siute so be sure and check in and also check out past months

http://longrifle.com/ - this is the home site of the Contemporary Longrifle Association and has sales as well as listings of makers, many who are friends and colleagues.

Cliff - if you don't have mi compadre, Tim Albert's book on 18th Century Hunting pouches I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone wanting to make one...Of course I don't have a bag for myself yet, last on I made I literally sold it right off my back LOL!- I'll post a pic of it for all to see....

Randy - this one was a sheer delight to make and I just love that sheepskin, the patina i takes is just wonderful. If it wasn't for the bills I'd have a hard time giving this one up....then again I do have some more of the same sheepskin and although I do have one I'm making for myslef from brain tan - well a man can always have two pouches........

Last edited:
My wife got that book for me for Christmas couple years ago, still haven't made one though. My stuff gets put on the back burner whether it be knives or leather. Or like you I usually wind up selling them. I did manage to make myself a couple gun rigs last fall and have managed to hold onto one of the holsters and money belt so far.

Chuck, what are the differences in a shot bag and possibles bag? I always thought a possibles bag was larger but would one have had the other provisions of a shot bag like the powder horn straps?

this one was a sheer delight to make and I just love that sheepskin, the patina i takes is just wonderful.
Chuck, I have a several small pieces of alum tawed goatskin I traded for at a antiques fair, it's very thin ( 1-2 oz.) and the man said it came from a bookbinder in Virginia. Alum and salt tanning dates back to 12th century so would this be the tanning technique for early parchment or vellum? Sorry, rambling.........Randy

Chuck, what are the differences in a shot bag and possibles bag? I always thought a possibles bag was larger but would one have had the other provisions of a shot bag like the powder horn straps?
Cliff I had to chuckle at this question since it is one of the few things that sets my teeth on edge since the term possibles bag has been wrongly applied to the shot bag (also in period parlance: shot pouch, schott bag, bullet bag, bullet pouch, ball bag, or ball pouch) since the late 1960's at least. The shot bag was and is the bag used to carry those items vital to shooting ones gun along with often a knife (folders were real common) and a flint and steel.
A possibles bag was/is much bigger and was the mountaineer's suitcase more or less. It could be an Indian pannier type pack bag (often called a tipi bag - this is a fancy version http://www.flickr.com/photos/spirit_girl/974915130/), a parfleche bag (http://www.aarinrichardtribal.com/images/prods/PL2030_CrowParfleche_LRG.jpg), or an early type saddle bag made like a market wallet (http://www.manuellisaparty.com/articles/pfd's/Market Wallet Plans.pdf) :

Here's two period descriptions mentioning a possibles sack......
from George Frederick Ruxton's book "Life in the Far West" - 846
"possibles sack": a "wallet of dressed buffalo skin for carrying [extra] ammunition, a few pounds of tobacco, dressed deerskins for moccasins, etc."

In William Drummond Stewart's book "Edward Warren",
"my gaudy cottons having confronted the glorious sun until sunk from the contest, were ready to be re-consigned to the possibles sack."

worse even than possibles bag being applied wrongly is those folks who call it a possibilities sack or bag :12:
most things don't bother me much but for some reason.........

Randy - parchment and vellum are both lime slaked rawhides (goat, calf, sheep have all been used), which are then stretched, thinned, and sanded. The difference between the two is one of those subjects ripe for discussion, but generally vellum is applied to the higher quality pieces. What you have is book binding leather which is often tawed hides - either for the cover or for the inner liner. The original Cordovan leather was/is a tawed and dyed red goat hide - the name comes from Cordoba Spain, but it was the Moors who developed it - they still make it and it also comes from Niger in No Africa.

Last edited:
Parchment is raw ( light bulb ) sometimes it takes a while to get through this Neanderthal cranium, Thanks......Randy

Chuck, thanks for that bit of wisdom. I'm no expert on that subject and have had friendly debates with a couple of my friends from time to time when they insist on calling their shot bag a possibles bag.

My uncle who first introduced me to period firearms and accessories had correctly it seems called them his shot bag and possibles sack. I didn't here the term possibles 'bag' until later on. Now that the expert has spoke I will have more knowledge the next time this subject comes up. And it will, next year at muzzle loading deer season if not sooner.

Back