An in-progress folder - an itch I had to scratch.

Karl B. Andersen

It's no secret that my closest and oldest knife making friend is Jerry Rados.
Jerry was my first real exposure into making knives.
Of course, Jerry is known for his impeccable multi-bar flawless Turkish Twist, and when you match that up with a full Damascus auto folder with fluted MOP and gold inlay and jewels, etc., he makes a knife that few people have even held.
A knife like that was one of the fist hand made knives I ever held.
Quite an intro into knife making. :eek:
Well, that was 17 years ago and they just seem to keep on ticking by.
Making folders is something that has been on my back burner for a loooooooooooong time.
I just finally had to make it happen.
Jerry and I are now separated by about 1000 miles, so running over to his house, like in the past, is no longer an option.
For about a year, I have been bugging Keith Johnson, here in northern Minnesota, to give me a few lock-back lessons.
Once some other guys heard about it, they also asked to join in.
So, this past weekend, Keith delivered up in spades, and four of us gathered at his shop for some instruction.
Keith only stood back and gave assistance, and we all did our own hands-on work. So everything is sole authorship.
This is not done, but I was sitting here at the computer doing some photo work and thought I'd toss this up.
I had my own plan, as far as what I wanted to make, so what you see here is all carbon steel - 15N20 frame, 1080 lock-bar and rear spacer, and a laddered Damascus blade.
Everything is all hardened and such.
I wanted all carbon steel so I could hot-blue everything.
The scales are early 20th century Bakelite.
I have so much work to do this year, I'm sure I won't get this done for another couple weeks or so, but here is the first folder from Andersen Forge - not-yet-done.
I tip my hat to Keith for his help and Jerry Rados for his never ending inspiration.

As I expected while reading ,it being you who is making the folder, the work you have done looks like the very best !!! Congratulations on a fine start ! Frank

Nice progress so far. Be sure to post up the completed knife. I bet it will be great.

Looking good Karl, I knew you come to the dark side sooner or later, may the dark force be with you.
I have no doubts about you making this another one of your expertly finished knives. Can't wait to see it.

Peter

One of the things that has made knife collecting such a joy for me is the fashion in which the artisans so freely devote their time and skills to help others.
Today everything is about getting over on your neighbor, to me as an observers knife makers are a group of craftsman that harken back to those days where camaraderie
was the rule and not the exception. Overall, I miss those days, but it seems alive and well among knife makers. I salute you!

Jeff

One of the things that has made knife collecting such a joy for me is the fashion in which the artisans so freely devote their time and skills to help others.
Today everything is about getting over on your neighbor, to me as an observers knife makers are a group of craftsman that harken back to those days where camaraderie
was the rule and not the exception. Overall, I miss those days, but it seems alive and well among knife makers. I salute you!

Jeff

Amazing isn't it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back