Another little project

Von Gruff

KNIFE MAKER
Soon after I started making knives I made a edge scriber but was having to keep adjusting it for the various thickness of blades I have been using so over the last week I set out to make another two in between doing other things.
I cut a couple of lengths from an old farm implement shaft

dRHoC0tl.jpg

After giving them a clean up they needed a flat ground down the length of them with a hole drilled and tapped for a 1/4 inch bolt and a 3/8 hole drilled for the scriber shaft

v3OHw9Vl.jpg

A couple of 3/8 bolts and a concrete nail are the other parts needed. Bots are cut to length and a flat grond down the length for the locking bolt to seat on and a hole for the scribe pin

bzXTBjGl.jpg

The scribe pins cut (and sharpened) from the concrete nail

28AoX0el.jpg

And assembled ready to go with one for the .125,(1084 and 12C27) .156 (1095) and .170 (1075 steel I most often use.

h0wE8A1l.jpg

Soon after I started making knives I made a edge scriber but was having to keep adjusting it for the various thickness of blades I have been using so over the last week I set out to make another two in between doing other things.
I cut a couple of lengths from an old farm implement shaft

dRHoC0tl.jpg

After giving them a clean up they needed a flat ground down the length of them with a hole drilled and tapped for a 1/4 inch bolt and a 3/8 hole drilled for the scriber shaft

v3OHw9Vl.jpg

A couple of 3/8 bolts and a concrete nail are the other parts needed. Bots are cut to length and a flat grond down the length for the locking bolt to seat on and a hole for the scribe pin

bzXTBjGl.jpg

The scribe pins cut (and sharpened) from the concrete nail

28AoX0el.jpg

And assembled ready to go with one for the .125,(1084 and 12C27) .156 (1095) and .170 (1075 steel I most often use.

h0wE8A1l.jpg
Why can’t I be that smart. Very cool.

Nice, Garry!!! I've been using a drill bit laying on a flat plate to mark my edge centers for years now. Something like that would be fairly easy to do. I just need to finish up some orders so I can build me one.

Back