Another use for quench plates!

jaxxas

A few nights ago we were fixing to grill some steaks and lo and behold we forgot to pull the steaks from the freezer. Then I had a brain fart, those big fat quench plates are used for quenching precisely because they are such great thermal conductors. Of course copper, silver and gold are better but I unfortunately don't have any thick plates of any of those laying about. So I stuck the steaks between the quench plates and they defrosted very quickly. The GF was amazed at how fast they defrosted compared to normal. How fast? Depends on how thick the meat is and how thick your plates are and of course the ambient temperature. A couple of days later I defrosted a little cube steak for breakfast and it was completely defrosted in under 20 minutes. Maybe even 15 minutes, but I checked it 20 minutes after putting it between the plates.

Anyway, I'm sure many of you already know and use this trick but just thought I'd share my newfound knowledge.

Last edited:
That's good thinking. I remember years ago seeing a guy at a flea market selling magic defroster trays.
that's what they were, aluminum plates with grove's in them. he put an ice cube on one and you could just watch it melt in a minute.

Back