Another which steel question

Fatstrat

To cut to the chase, I'm interested in steel that doesn't need to be (already is) heat treated/tempered. For making bowie type hunting knives.
I've been "refurbishing" knives for several years. Buying old, mostly military blades in poor condition. Re-handling and in many cases re-grinding the shapes of the blades. Depending on what is left of the acquired blade.
I've got the applying handles part down pat. And also grinding hard steel slowly/carefully as to not lose temper.
Now I want design and make my own blades. But don't have the room for a forge. Just want to do "stock removal" on already hard steel. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:

Justin Presson

Man I'm not sure you will find that and if you did cutting out your profile would be a chore.
Have you thought about sending out the heat treating? Buy you some good steel, cut and grind your profile then send it out to be hardened and tempered.

Fatstrat

That could work. Who can you send it to? I'm a delivery truck driver and Bodycote is a business I go to occasionally. They do industrial heat treating, but expressed no interest in doing knife blades.

Justin Presson

That could work. Who can you send it to? I'm a delivery truck driver and Bodycote is a business I go to occasionally. They do industrial heat treating, but expressed no interest in doing knife blades.
Depending on what steel you go with but Darrin Sanders a member on here does oil hardened steels at a very reasonable price and has done several for me. He was $10 per blade plus shipping but you would need to contact him to get exact.

Or any of the others mentioned.

Fatstrat

Thank you for your advice. Will 440C make a good sturdy large Bowie? I'm thinking similar to the large one made by the old Western knife company.