another wip............

slatroni

Hey Guys n Gals!
I started out with my drawing. I get it the way I like it on paper before I cut anything. I am trying something different, a strong back instead of a hidden tang.

NCM_0143-1.jpg

I cut the paper knife out and glued it to a piece of 3/16" X 1 1/5" - 1095

NCM_0143-3.jpg

Then with my trusty Harbor Freight porta band I cut out the blade. One hand on the saw the other on the cell phone.

NCM_0144.jpg NCM_0145.jpg

All cut out.

NCM_0147.jpg

Then to the grinder with a 60 grit belt to shape it to a blank. I also cut out what will be the guard and hilt. They are a left overs I get at work, some kind of bearing bronze. It very hard and takes a nice patina when finished. I have to wait to get back to work on Monday to use the mill to slot the bronze pieces. Boy, I need a mill!

NCM_0149.jpg

I hope to get the blade ground this weekend. Any comments would be appreciated, Thanks

P.S. ( ya, thats my Knife Dogs Award in the back ground! ) LOL! Thanks again!

I LOVE THESE WIPS!
I always learn something...I'm subscribed!
Waiting, patiently for more....
....still waiting......
......looking forward to seeing this one born!
Rex

I had some time today. I drilled the ironwood to accept the pins in the guard. This side of the ironwood will be chopped off to show some nice colorful grain. I still need to take it to my "paying" job and cut the slot for the strongback tang, (at lunch time). course!
NCM_0151-1.jpg

I got the guard profiled today and also the slot for the strong back. Sorry this is so slow but I have been working some overtime at the plant. Did I ever tell you how much I love 70's Randall Knives?
NCM_0154.jpgNCM_0153.jpg
Thanks for looking!

Aha! Now, I know what you mean by, "strongback tang." I was just going along, hoping to figure it out as some point.

I don't know that I have seen anyone actually make a knife of this type. I was thinking Randal all the way, when I saw the drawing. So, you hit the nail on the head. thanks for sharing.
kc

I got a little bit more done on this project today. The fist pics show me cutting out the ironwood handle.
NCM_0155.jpgNCM_0156.jpg
The test fit shows a small gap between the guard and ricasso that will have to be addressed.
NCM_0159-1.jpg

I had to stop and harden my file guide before I could square up the ricasso. If you look close at the pic you can see the small amount that must be removed so the guard fits like a, well a guard.

NCM_0163.jpg
Finished filing the ricasso. Now the guard will have no gap between it and the ricasso.
NCM_0164.jpg
Anyone that does not have a file guide like this, make yourself one. Its just two pieces of bar (1095 in this case) Held together with two screws. Run it up RED HOT and drop it in the Canola oil to harden it.
NCM_0165.jpg
This is where I left off today. Thanks for looking. Any questions please PM me!
NCM_0166.jpg

Thank you Wildman!

I am having trouble getting my new platen to track. I realigned the wheels and got it tracking but when I put pressure on the belt, the belt walks to the left. Kinda hard to grind a blade like that. I am going to throw some more shims at it this weekend to see if I can identify the problem. Anyway that is why the stall.

Ok, got my grinder tracking. Here is a pic of my fixture.

NCM_0170.jpgNCM_0169.jpg

HA! I had to stop grinding and order some more belts...............

While I am waiting for belts I started shaping the handle. I got the pin in the hilt.

NCM_0172.jpg

I put the handle back on hold and started the file work.
NCM_0171.jpg

I had company all day today. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to. Plus my poor wife lost here beloved pet Pearl. He was a cool cat. I did get some work done on the file work and the handle. The blade is in clay so no pic, sorry. But here is a pic of the handle.NCM_0176.jpg Oh, and some goodies for scale.

I got a bit more done on the knife. I got it heat treated and started finish grinding. I just can't get in the ZONE with the grinder so I put it away for the day.
NCM_0177-2.jpgNCM_0178-1.jpg
Thanks for looking!
Steve

Broke my knife Mental Block and started grinding again. My problem is, I was afraid the blade would warp during heat treating if fully ground. To prevent this I did a partial grind and then did the HT. Boy this thing is hard! I cant even scratch it with a file. It took two new ceramic belts to get the shape I wanted.
Now The dreaded sanding!NCM_0179.jpg

Yep still sanding!NCM_0180.jpg

I just dropped it in the etch solution a bit ago I will post up a pic when it comes out.

Back