Antler scales / handles ???'s

Eddie Mullins

OK, so I have been planning to try my hand at making a knife using whitetail antler as the handle or as scales for a full tang. I was telling my dad about this and he gave me a set from a buck he killed a few years. Long story short, I want to make him a knife using them for Christmas. They aren't particularly suited for a hidden tang so I and thinking about making a full tang with bolsters and using the antler as scales. I'll forge the handle to match the contour of the scales.

Looking for input here on their use and prep.

My current plan is not to try to stabilize or treat them at all.

I intend to epoxy and pin using copper or aluminum.

I have read that they can be soaked in water if needed to help with the fit.

My biggest concern right now is getting nice flat cuts for a good fit. I'll be using a small porta band converted to a mounted band saw. I'm thinking I could sand on a smooth flat surface to true up after but want to minimize the need to do so.

I know there is info here, but I only found bits and pcs. Any input appreciated.

BTW - this will be my first use of bolsters also, so there may be more questions later : ).

You may be better off completing your design first and then cuting the scales to fit reasonably close. The dentine (hard white stuff) on white tail is on the thin side and doesn't leave much room for shaping, the pith is like shredded wheat. Flattening the scales can be done on a disc sander SLOWLY or the typical dragging across sand paper on a flat surface. Regardless of how you do it, flatening is unavoidable. Don't know about using (boiling ?) water, my guess is they'd want to return to their natural state when drying out. I'd try vinegar first, it works on an egg shell. Don't go nuts peening the pins with such thin dentine. Post pics and keep us updated.

Rudy

If they had been cut low enough at the base I would have done something very similar, but he cut them too high.

I am interested in trying this latter though. I have yet to do a hidden tang. With the curve of most antlers I am assuming the tang is only 1/2 or so the length of the handle? If the center is pithy is it just filled with plenty of epoxy?

Back