Anyone tried Knifeprint software???

I looked at it a while back. I don't think it's for me. For one it is cloud based. I'm not fond of cloud based products in general. But that's just me. However the big drawback that I saw is you are sharing your designs with anyone else who uses the program. That may or may not be a concern for you. I'm not against sharing as such, but I'd like to have more control over who I share things with.

Additionally the free version is fairly limited. My preference is still Inkscape.

No harm in giving it a try for free though. If you do, let us know how it goes.

I'm using Spaceclaim and Rhino 3D. Rhino is amazing for tweaking lines. I scan my sketches and go from there...CAD programs can be dangerous in that they can make a sterile design look viable. I have my design finished before I start drawing lines over it in Rhino.

I have never knowingly copied anyone's design and would not want that option. I say knowingly as I have been drawing knives for over 40 years and some of my best sketches looked a lot like a guy with the initials RWL...lol!(Drop point hunters were my fave at one time...)

I do want to be influenced by great makers from looking at their work...not stealing their designs or having too easy access. I know this is not at all what Chris was asking about...and I am no way refering to him...but having used CAD software for over for over 25yrs and being a heavy coffee drinker (and having just finished a grande french roast...) I have opinions that leak out at times...Some folk on other forums think that all knife designs are minor iterations of each other and okay to copy...I disagree.

That being said...a simple easy to use drawing package is valuable to learn CAD if there isn't billion buttons to learn.ist pc.jpg

I'm a lifetime customer. If you use the free service, your designs are available to everyone. If you get a membership, you can make your designs private. It's quicker than CAD for my purposes. I 3D print my prototypes during the design process to get hands-on with them. I then export them into files I can print or send to get the blanks cut. For my company, it works great and has greatly reduced time and effort. There is a little learning curve, but it isn't bad.

Back