Are there any other teenagers here?

LiamLynch

It never occurred to me until now to try and find people my own age here. There must be more than me. There is a place for old dog knife makers, why not young dog knife makers. I do hope this is the right place.

lool when i saw that thread i was going to say that Liam Lynch is, but then found its you who started it!

I'll say one thing... I wish I would have gotten into knife making WHEN I was a teenager.

I remember trying to cut the side off of a piece of square tube with my dad's angle grinder once, in hopes that I'd have a flat piece of steel to make some kind of a knife.

Didn't work out too well.

Wasn't until my mid twenties that I really started reading up on knife making.

Similar story to me, AR. I first got into knives when I was 15, but I was always studying and trying out production knives. I didn't get into knife making until really a year ago, and I didn't get into the custom knife market until a few months ago. Now I almost have more interest in custom knives than I do production knives.

lool when i saw that thread i was going to say that Liam Lynch is, but then found its you who started it!

I guess that means some people know who I am then.
Starting young is probably going to give me more time to get good at it.

Well, I used to be and I was drug from it kicking and screaming. If I get the chance I will go back.

I guess that means some people know who I am then.
Starting young is probably going to give me more time to get good at it.

Everybody knows that teenagers know everything, so it's probably going to get more difficult as you get older.

Just kidding.

It has been getting more difficult over the three years I have been trying to get into this properly, as I get older I have to spend more of my money on things I "need" instead of knife making and school gets harder so I have less and less time each year.

Totally feel ya there man. Once you start college, it gets harder, because then there's gas, food, books, tuition, and all the mess with that. It gets hard. But they say it all pays off when you're done with college, so that's what I'm hoping for haha.

Wayne, you're still a kid at heart and in actions.

Murph, I resemble that remark. Several years ago I was at a high school reunion when one of the guys said, "Wayne marches to a different drummer." One of the girls said, "Hell, Wayne dances to a different drummer."

Totally feel ya there man. Once you start college, it gets harder, because then there's gas, food, books, tuition, and all the mess with that. It gets hard. But they say it all pays off when you're done with college, so that's what I'm hoping for haha.

Luckily for me tuition is free in Scotland for the Scottish. Unluckily it means that I'm unlikely to get in because foriefn students are prioritised as they pay. Things will get very expensive I think. I might go straight into the marines though which should pay for pretty much everything. Right now I have £30 spending money a month and most of it has ended up being food so I'm dreading having to pay for my own stuff. I hate to admit but I seem to be this useless product of our system where you get everything free and then it stops and you are screwed.

Would definitely be cool if you joined the Royal Marines though! Those guys are some of the toughest in the world. I wanted to join the U.S. Marines right after high school, but I ended up having a medical problem and they wouldn't take me. But it's definitely a great goal to have if you go for it.

If I ever actually make it to the USA I want to join the USMC if I can. I figure that if I go in the Royal Marines first it shouldn't be too hard. I actually found out the other day that the motto of House Lynch is Semper Fidelis, which is pretty cool if you ask me.

Liam,
I will always be a teenager whenever possible! Till the day I die!

Sounds like the royal marines would be a great start. I have heard that thy have much better gear than some of the Chinese made stuff they now pass off on our soldiers.

There where a lot of reasons why I didn't like our president Bill Clinton, His wife is a big one, but the one that really chapped my hide was when he had a order placed with china for a black beret hat for every US service personnel.

I think it was a kick back for illegal campaign contributions he received from china and they look totally stupid on our service men & women.
Before only the Greens wore that kind of hat. and now it's everyone and they aren't even made here in the USA! I better stop now and go take my medication.:biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

It can be rough being a teen and trying to start knife making. When you're a teenager you usually don't have the money to get the equipment that you need and playing with fire and sharp things might worry the parents. When you're a college student there are other priorities that have to come first. When you are out of school and getting started at a job an supporting a family, there are other priorities that have to come first. When the kids are finally out of the house and on their own you may finally have a little extra to buy the tools and equipment that you need. That's why when you see pictures of guys starting out at knife making they tend to be gray of beard and thin of thatch.

Doug

Back