Austin Thrasher Photo Gallery-past work, current wips, etc..

Austin Thrasher

I reckon this’ll be the place I upload photos of my past work and whatever else I think of.
I’ll guess I’ll start with these:

Alabama Damascus with Padauk wood handle.
0D37C9D1-F008-4B43-86F3-AB18D08FFA25.jpeg

70C8DB47-97B7-4904-88E8-9BFB1CD97C5F.jpeg
Alabama Damascus with Olive wood handle. I’m definitely not a fan of the modern interpretation of the tanto knife but if that’s what the customer “has to have”, that’s what you make!

Hey Austin, can you clarify where/how you got that wood? Great knives by the way!
Yessir that is rockler woodworking and hardware in Indianapolis Indiana. They have a table in there of cut off pieces from whatever they have in stock and it’s a really good price and sometimes you can find some nice wood in it.

That olive wood came out of a cutting board I bought at TJ Maxx in town. It cost me like seven bucks, had some really nice grain in it, and I got a lot more knives out of it for cheaper than one set of scales.

Stabilizing that piece of bocote probably would NOT have stopped that crack.

The issue was using crosscut endgrain scales. Looks cool......absolute worst way to use any piece of wood for anything.....especially knife scales. That's asking for a crack.

Stabilizing that piece of bocote probably would NOT have stopped that crack.

The issue was using crosscut endgrain scales. Looks cool......absolute worst way to use any piece of wood for anything.....especially knife scales. That's asking for a crack.
Ok. Good to know. I haven’t ever used stabilized wood and am not quite sure how it behaves but dadgum that was a shame. It was so perty lol!

My first slip joint. Alabama Damascus, 01 backspring, OD Green Micarta scales. Even though I’m a machinist, I have no access to any machine tools cause the boss won’t let me use what we have at work. I want a mill and lathe for my new shop sooo bad lol o_OSo the only way I knew to cut nail nick was freehand with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder. It turned out ok I guess and could have been worse... I had a hard time getting the pivot to disappear in the bushing. I did use a tapered pin reamer but still didn’t get it quite right. Live and learn I guess...

E4FF5559-1C34-4492-8658-A004B43DC96B.jpegB67477CB-D708-491C-8616-AD359E55D0FE.jpeg29CC2DC3-4F06-42BC-B52A-AC5CDCDC9823.jpeg

Back