Bandsaw blades

Kev

Does anyone here know of a readily available and/or source for a wood cutting style blade for a portable bandsaw? I kinda have a one off project, that I really should use wood blades for. That said I could always go buy a wood cutting type bandsaw, but you know, if you don’t HAVE to...
thanks

That said I could always go buy a wood cutting type bandsaw, but you know, if you don’t HAVE to...
My opinion is, if you can afford it, go and buy the dedicated blade with the proper TPI and kerf. If you don't forsee yourself using it frequently, then you can get a cheaper version and still have something that'll last for years, and the next time you have a one-off, you'll have the right tool.
I'll try to discourage you from using a metal blade to cut wood (except for K&G stabilized wood, maybe) because it can be frustrating, slow and the blade can wander.
Here's a good video explaining sawing wood:

Last edited:
I bought a 10" Rikon for wood and handle materials. My life is changed. I was able to find bimetal blades for metal that fit it and cut G10 as well.

I bought a 10" Rikon for wood and handle materials. My life is changed. I was able to find bimetal blades for metal that fit it and cut G10 as well.
Are you able to slow the 10" Rikon down enough for metal? How well does the blades last? What metal are you cutting?

I just got a 14" Rikon (found it used) and while it cuts wood really good, even on slow speed the blade is still about 1500 SFPM. Just for grins I tried a 14 tpi bi-metal blade to cut some .065" AEB-L and it dulled blade with just a few inches of cutting. Didn't get a whole profile cut out before it ruined the blade due to excessive speed.

Are you able to slow the 10" Rikon down enough for metal? How well does the blades last? What metal are you cutting?

I just got a 14" Rikon (found it used) and while it cuts wood really good, even on slow speed the blade is still about 1500 SFPM. Just for grins I tried a 14 tpi bi-metal blade to cut some .065" AEB-L and it dulled blade with just a few inches of cutting. Didn't get a whole profile cut out before it ruined the blade due to excessive speed.
No metal. It's a 2300 sfpm 1 speeder. I have a horizontal that flips up for profiling. The bimetal just lets it live through G10. I suspect that life will be shortened compared to metal saw speeds, but it's so much nicer to be able to cut the sheets down square. I switch it back to the wood blades for wood and micarta.

Not that I have ever seen, and I looked. But I bet you could get someone to make it. They're usually pretty reasonable.

Not that I have ever seen, and I looked. But I bet you could get someone to make it. They're usually pretty reasonable.
Before I got my Milwaukee Porta-Band I had a metal cutting band saw blade made for my Craftsman Wood saw. One blade cost me $45.00 and it didn't last nearly as long as I expected.
Kind of the opposite of what you are looking for, but I found one off band saw blades to be quite expensive.

I did not think I had ever seen a wood cutting blade for a porta band. For my wood cutter I use the Lennox blades from Grizzly. I am impressed with them. Do not buy a 3 wheel Bandsaw no matter what. I had one and it was a blade breaking machine.

I did not think I had ever seen a wood cutting blade for a porta band. For my wood cutter I use the Lennox blades from Grizzly. I am impressed with them. Do not buy a 3 wheel Bandsaw no matter what. I had one and it was a blade breaking machine.
Hi,Buy a porta band Harbour freight $120.00 put it on a vertical stand you tube has a lot of ways to build the stand .You will be able to cut up to 1/4 inch easy. Hope this helps.Sharp Things

I recommend you call Louis Iturra, 904 642-2802, Jacksonville Florida. He owns a company called Irurra Designs and, in my opinion, is the final word in bandsaws & blades He changed how I operate my 14" Delta/Rockwell bandsaw. Iturra is old school, he apparently does not have a website. He specializes in woodworking applications, but knows a lot about metal cutting. I've begun buying bi-metal blades from Iturra, either Lennox or Starrett brand for my bandsaw. I no longer weld my own carbon steel blades from bulk coils. The metal cutting performance from a bi-metal blade is far superior to carbon steel. He publishes an amazing booklet (1/2" thick) about bandsaws and blades - anyone with a bandsaw needs to have one of his books - and he gives them out free with an order.
A lot of my discussions with Louis have been about resawing wood for knife handle scales using my metal cutting bandsaw. He has a lot of information about how to tune a bandsaw and sells parts to improve tracking, vibration and performance.

Back