Be deliberate!

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
I'm seeing some new faces and new makers around and thought I'd share a general design and execution tip.

Be deliberate in your designs. Think about your build and sketch it out or use CAD if you know how. But from blade to handle to fittings, make every curve, every line and every transition deliberate and intentional. It will crisp up the design and improve flow and visual appeal.

There is a ton of subjective and artistic freedom and personal preference in making a knife. But one of the biggest mistakes, IMO, is just doing "something" because you weren't sure what to do. That will almost always show up as a disruption to the design or flow.

I like to draw every knife to actual scale with pencil. I can study it for awhile and make small changes as necessary. If you get stuck, walk away for a bit and do something else. Then come back to it.

But give that blade a deliberate shape and purpose. Make those curves and transitions on that handle intentional. Be deliberate.

Feel free to discuss further or ask questions here.

I would concur with this. My last design I basically did it on the fly. And while I'm happy with the design, it changed what I was attempting to make considerably. The knife went from an every day carry piece to an almost 5 inch hunter.

I'm seeing some new faces and new makers around and thought I'd share a general design and execution tip.

Be deliberate in your designs. Think about your build and sketch it out or use CAD if you know how. But from blade to handle to fittings, make every curve, every line and every transition deliberate and intentional. It will crisp up the design and improve flow and visual appeal.

There is a ton of subjective and artistic freedom and personal preference in making a knife. But one of the biggest mistakes, IMO, is just doing "something" because you weren't sure what to do. That will almost always show up as a disruption to the design or flow.

I like to draw every knife to actual scale with pencil. I can study it for awhile and make small changes as necessary. If you get stuck, walk away for a bit and do something else. Then come back to it.

But give that blade a deliberate shape and purpose. Make those curves and transitions on that handle intentional. Be deliberate.

Feel free to discuss further or ask questions here.
Great topic, thanks for bringing this up. If possible, could you provide examples of good and bad designs? As a starter, and if appropriate, I will volunteer my KITH knife for Fred Kingery as a design to critique - see my sketch. I have not yet cut any steel and I would value any comments.

Yup I have a sketch pad full. There have been designs I thought would be GREAT and after drawing them out they look unbalanced, to much handle not enough handle to large of a whatever! The sketch in my world while 1 dimensional still gives me a visual depiction of the knife. And while knives are tools and should be funtional (IMO) they should also be pleasantly appealing to the eye (again IMO). GREAT ADVICE Mr Doyle!!

P.S. Nice thing too about sketch is you can draw a quickie design up and refine it later!!

I sketch full size. Then scan a full size jpeg. Then import scan into CAD to create curves. Build it into a 3d model. Print. Stare. Sketch changes on print out. Change 3D model...lather. Rinse. Repeat....(stay off the CAD till you have something "real" on paper)

I have decent drawing skills and am fluent in CAD. This does not take as long as it would seem.

Not everyone works well in 2D though...Some see it in their noggin in 3D and must build and not draw too much....not my method and seems a bit weird...lol! (As my way would to them) I know enough guys are wired this way so they would have to reach being deliberate by meditating or visualization on their project till they totally "see it".

I get excited when I sit down with 5 or so sheets of printer paper, a cheap 1.3mm plastic mechanical pencil, and a fresh idea...

Mine go straight from my head into Q-CAD. I like being able to know exactly how long a line or curve is so I can keep visual balance and symmetry. I also like making scale prototypes from wood to get a sense of what a finished knife might look like. All super easy to do from CAD once you get over the whole CAD learning curve thingy.

Back