KNIFE MAKER
buckskin1-590x600.jpg

buckskin2-600x532.jpg

Sheath is 8/9 oz leather wrapped in hand stitched buck skin with a
double chevron fringe and antiqued brass beads on the face
A twisted double fringe runs the length of the trailing edge of
the sheath.

One of the most interesting things for me about this sheath is, the buck skin
I used was obtained from an estate sale. The buck skin was still in its original
box from the retailer from 1955. How about that.

Thanks for looking

That's a really nice piece, interesting story. That would look nice on my Buckskinner outfit.
Larry

Mr. Appleby

Thats a great job tastefully done ! I really like the clean execution on this one as opposed to being aged which is typical with this style of sheath !

Great work ! Josh

Hi,
Can you explain the different type of fringes? I'm not very familiar with that terminology. The sheath looks really great!!

Thanks
Steve Hostetler

Hi,
Can you explain the different type of fringes? I'm not very familiar with that terminology. The sheath looks really great!!

Thanks
Steve Hostetler

I am no expert. I only used the terms that best described on what is happening here on my sheath. Chevron is a wide V or alignment of wide V's above each other( like on Sgt stripes). Double fringe in this case is that the leather from both sides of the sheath are sewn together and extended and cut into fringe. Other wise the fringe may be applied to the sheath afterward in as few or as many layers as one may wish.

Anyone who can share more info on the subject please feel free to chime in.

Thanks all for the kind words

Beautiful job!! Do you have any idea whether it is braintanned, german tanned, veg-tan?? Did it come in that color or did you have to dye it? And, what did you use for the stitching??

Thanks for sharing,
Jacque

Beautiful job!! Do you have any idea whether it is braintanned, german tanned, veg-tan?? Did it come in that color or did you have to dye it? And, what did you use for the stitching??

Thanks for sharing,
Jacque

Thanks, I have no Idea of the tanning method, the hides are a natural color(a light sand tan) and are butter soft. I used feibings med brown leather dye with a splash of black to color the sheath. For stitching I used black waxed linen cord.

Back