Bearded Hatchet

opaul

I attended a blacksmithing class this weekend, the project was a bearded hatchet. It was a very interesting class and the instructor was great. There were 16 students in this class. I learned a lot and realized how difficult blacksmithing and managing a coke fire can be. I think I'm going to try this at home with my gas forge!
Interesting construction = a mild steel band bent in a u shape, riveted then forge welded, then a high carbon wedge inserted for the blade edge, riveted, forged welded; shape the handed opening with a wedge template; then heat treat, water quench the edge; temper the edge by heat transfer from a wrought iron bar. Last step do some minor grinding and shaping then inserting the handle.

Last edited:
That is very cool. It looks like you did a good job. Hatchet is on my list of things to make one of these days. I follow Liam Hoffman on instagram and he makes some really nice axes and hatchets and shows alot of wip pics.

Thanks guys. I didn't mention the steel the school provided but it was 4140 for the edge insert and A36 for the hatchet body.

You been a very busy boy while I was gone OP! I just knew when I logged in you would have something but you are really pouring it on now congrats!

Back