Bearing Pockets

Akritz

Hay Dogs,
I'm finishing up my first folder, it is a liner lock flipper that is on brass washers. It kind of flips but needs some wrist action to get it to lock up. Planning my next knife and would like to use bearings but I'm not seeing a practical way to cut the bearing pockets without a mill. Looking for ideas using a drill press and hand tools. Is it possible?

Thanks,
Alan
Cedar Rapids, IA

Akritz, you should be able to generate a bearing pocket using the correct size counterbore in a drill press. I use a mill but it would be basically same by setting stop to top of material then adding a shim for depth of cut under the side plate- just one idea. I would tram in your drill press first as well to make sure get good square recess too.

I would tram in your drill press first as well to make sure get good square recess too.
This is an absolute MUST! If the bottom on the counterbore isn't dead on flat, there will be hard and soft spots in the action (blade travel)....even the "flex" in some drill press tables can cause major issues. (found that out first hand) :)

I used a drill press for about a year before buying a mill, and fought ever single bearing pocket, all the way. It was actually one of the biggest reason I saved up and purchased my first mill.

Take a look at these bearings. They are a nylon disc with captive balls and come with two hardened washers (or races), are economically priced and work well. You can use a counterbore and then just drop one race in the bottom of the hole and let the bearings run against the hardened blade on the other side. Look at the second item, Not the needle bearings.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rolling-element-thrust-bearings/=uz8ozw

Steve

Last edited:
Back