Best Buffing Wheel for Titanium?

Type of wheels is not so important with Ti, as the way you buff. Ti is very susceptible to to "over buffing"....and will often "orange peel" if you try to go too hard and fast. Ti doesn't work like steel.....you have to take extra time and care sanding it before buffing, getting to a very fine sanded finish...to the point where a light buffing is all that is needed.

My favorite buffing wheel for Ti is a sewn muslin wheel, turning no more than 1800rpm, with pink no scratch compound. Medium felt also works well, as long as you can slow the felt wheel to 1000rpm or less.

Only Ti I've worked with was polishing golf clubs for a friend. (I don't care for golf personally, but he's my friend).
But my very limited experience pretty much parallels with what Ed said.

During initial sanding, I could never obtain good results using power tools (belt grinder, etc.) Guess it's something about the speed/pressure that the metal doesn't like.
Also, slowing the buffer down really does help. Maybe you already know this, but if you can't slow the RPM of your buffer (pulleys with belt drive; variable-speed motor with direct drive), then use smaller-diameter buffing wheels.

Two approaches that worked well for me.

1. Progressively hand sand to 2500. Finish with cotton flannel wheel and pink/red jewelers rouge.

2. Sand to approx. 1600. Buff with spiral-sewn wheel and blue compound (less greasy than red, but still non-cutting). Finish with cotton flannel wheel.
On the flannel wheel, sometimes I'll use the blue, sometimes the pink. Just depends. The blue still gives a very fine polish, while the pink gives it that final "color".

Again, this is only based upon my limited experience with it.

Back