Best practices after cutting out pieces

Absinthe

So, I have cut out 6 different pocket knife patterns. Well, somewhat, in that I have the liners, and blades and springs. I have yet to cut the bolsters, but I just ran out of shop time and had to print them first anyway. :) knives.jpg

So I have also drilled them all to 1/16".

So what is the best process to grind these things "to the line"? I assume that I can pin them together with some 1/16" stock somehow or maybe superglue them one to another and do them together? Would I do the liners as a unit, or include the springs at the same time? Or is it better to do each thing one at a time, then try to get them match up later? Only one of these is a 2 blade knife (the little sunfish). If I pin them all together, do I need to peen one end of the pin or something to keep them from coming apart while grinding?

pin the liners together at the pivot and back end holes. That makes sure both liners are exactly the same. The backspring and blade will be ground individulay. On the backspring, be sure to leave a tad on the back so after liners, blade, and backspring are fitted up for final fit, you can grind the back down smooth with liners.

You will have a LOTS of fitting to get the backspring and blade working together with the liners and pivot. Good luck and have fun

pin the liners together at the pivot and back end holes. That makes sure both liners are exactly the same. The backspring and blade will be ground individulay. On the backspring, be sure to leave a tad on the back so after liners, blade, and backspring are fitted up for final fit, you can grind the back down smooth with liners.

You will have a LOTS of fitting to get the backspring and blade working together with the liners and pivot. Good luck and have fun
So the question still remains about pinning them together. Can I just stick a couple pieces of 1/16 rod n the holes or do I need to do something else to fasten them together?

i use a couple drops of super glue to hold the liners together. Then i drill and shape them as one unit so that they end up identical. I treat them as a single piece until I’m ready to relieve the pivot area and then spot weld the bolsters on.

The holes in the liners provide the location to drill the holes in the bolsters once they’re welded on. Then I grind the bolster profiles to match the liner which is already shaped.

i use a couple drops of super glue to hold the liners together. Then i drill and shape them as one unit so that they end up identical. I treat them as a single piece until I’m ready to relieve the pivot area and then spot weld the bolsters on.

The holes in the liners provide the location to drill the holes in the bolsters once they’re welded on. Then I grind the bolster profiles to match the liner which is already shaped.
This is the second time in so many days I have heard mention of spotwelding the bolsters on. What are you using to do that?

spot welder machine from Harbor Freight.

$159

Attachments

• 88A545F2-6599-4934-A07E-0187F4E44583.jpeg
    88A545F2-6599-4934-A07E-0187F4E44583.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 5
So the question still remains about pinning them together. Can I just stick a couple pieces of 1/16 rod n the holes or do I need to do something else to fasten them together?
Yes, just use 1/16" brass pins to hold the liners in place while grinding. Nothing fancy, I use brass rods from welding shop to cut pins from.

Back