best production kitchen knives

Well since I am newly single as of last July I have been real keen on cooking for myself and am really enjoying it and eating allot healthier.
But my old kitchen knives just aren't cutting it. In your opinions tell me what brand do you think are the top of the line and why. I will be in the market for some soon. Thanks

I know they've lost a bit of popularity, but I'm still extremely fond of my Henkels. Of course, I like Wustof and Trident as well. I can't recall the name of them, but I picked up some really inexpensive santoku style blades at Bed Bath and Beyond that were made in China and amazing. Surprisingly, they even have true convex ground edges. Not bad for $20 for a 7" santoku.

I picked up some Chicago Cutlery kitchen knives at a rummage sale for $5. They cut really nice, especially compared to my dad's Henkels, which are the finely serrated blades. Of course mine need a whole lot more upkeep... but who doesn't love that? (I had a thread about these blades Here)

We also picked up a carving and chef knife from an outlet store for about $6 each, I believe. They work really well. I don't remember the brand, but they're German forged steel, finished in China. They were on the clearance rack because they were the previous year's handle style.

... someday ... just for fun ... I'd love to prepare a family feast with one of Bob Kramer's knives (European 8" Chef - Damascus - Redwood)... but I have a feeling it's like in the George Harrison song: it's gonna take time and a whole lotta spending money ... in the mean time Wusthof is pretty darn nice!

I have a 10" Chef and a Sontoku both from the kershaw Shun series, I really enjoy the way the handle swell is shaped. And being a knifemaker, I know we are all pretty critical. Im no exception! But these were the sharpest knives I have ever used. i will admit that part of it is the geometry, but these cut like a razor! have both been used in a busy kitchen and have only needed stropping (not steeling) t keep an amazing edge!

God Bless
Mike

Depends on how much you want to spend really.

Sub $30 then you're probably better off going for Henkles, Forschner, Sabatier, Victorionox etc
$30 - $120 you can look at knives like Global (the G2 is a very under rated and great starter chefs knife), Shun (free sharpening in the US I believe), Tojiro (superb value for money though I think the prices may have just gone up).
$120+ an you're into the realms of Hiromoto, Shun Elite, Mayabi etc

CC

Back