Best way to ship...

smithy

I am selling some equipment that I no longer use, like a forge, anvil, and grinder. Anyone have any suggestion on packing and shipping? I have no experience in this area and I would like any ideas. As always, TIA for any help and advice. Thanks...

I sold a 230# anvil and bolted it to a pallet for shipment. Didn't cover it in any way it ar5rived in good shape. I've also received large parts strapped to pallets. Seems to be OK way to ship.

I hate to hear that Smitty!
Sometimes on larger items it is best to specify local pick-up, when you put up for sale. I see adds on Craigslist for local pick-up only all the time. It tends to limit your buyer pool but, eliminates all the hassle you have to go thru to box and sell.

The cost and weight can be prohibitive on larger items. Or you can build a big crate and go with a freight company for transportation, they will usually pick-up, transport and deliver. Anyway that is about all I got,maybe others will have some better ideas!! They will pick-up and deliver pretty much anywhere. I once purchased a welder and it was delivered on an 18 wheeler. I live on a dead-end street and he must have known because he stopped on the main street and backed a 1/4 of mile down the road to deliver the welder right to my door!

If you ship common carrier don't call a freight company direct, call a freight haul reseller like Unishipper. They will shop around and get a much better price than most common carriers charge a non-regular customer.

I've shipped forges all over the country lately and used UPS for them. They only weigh 70 pounds though. I bought a box at Uhaul rental and dumpster dove for styrofoam packing materials. It ran total about $100 per forge. Be sure to use stranded tape.

Last edited:
Back