Blade from flee market-- Stag handle question

foosc911

I am new to knife making... I picked up an old knife from flee market to practice making slab handles ($5)... Covered in rust with duck tape on handles... After removing duct tape just to find masking tape.. I found stag handles... The blade is marked "Solingen".... The stag handles just fell off.. the brass pins rusted in half... I have removed the rust... Remaking a hand guard... The stag handle don't fit flat. One is curved up about 1/8 inch.... Will the stag bend? Shall I use claps to flatten the stag before re-pinning? I was going to use larger brass pins... Would I epoxy the stag handle before I use the pins? Lastly, the knife is in the "white"... I was thinking cold bluin... Good/Bad concept?

At this point, I have more questions and answers... I have made a few blades using 1080/84/95 steel... heat treatment via brake drum forge, etc

Thanks
Randy

Depending on the condition of the stag, it may not be worth it to re-bend it (something I know can be done; but I've never tried it myself).
Do you have any pictures of the offender?

My suggestion would be to flatten the scales from the back as much as possible, epoxy them to some liner material like G-10, then reattach them to the blade. I would use black G-10 and dye the epoxy black so that any gaps will be filled and also be the same color as the liners. It wont be perfect but thats about the only way I can think of to re-use those scales. You could always get some new scales.

My suggestion would be to flatten the scales from the back as much as possible, epoxy them to some liner material like G-10, then reattach them to the blade. I would use black G-10 and dye the epoxy black so that any gaps will be filled and also be the same color as the liners. It wont be perfect but thats about the only way I can think of to re-use those scales. You could always get some new scales.

thanks for your input

Randy

Back