Blade shapes, history and uses - information sources

Eddie Mullins

After seeing some blades I was not familiar with, such as the Nessmuk I have been surfing the net trying to find some resources on the different blade types, their history and uses. I am finding bits and pieces but nothing comprehensive. I'm looking for as many styles/shapes with examples/pictures and info as I can get, ideally from a single source.

Is there something out there on the web? or a book or books that y'all would recommend?

The Nessmuk, from as far as I've read, was developed by George Washington Sears as the ideal hunting/camping knife. Sears, who wrote under the name of Nessmuck in late 19th century hunting/outdoors magazines, was an avid outdoorsman and hunter. He was one of those people who thought if you needed a knife you should get a knife and if you needed a hatchet you should get a hatchet.

Doug

Thanks Doug, I was able to google that specific type after I heard about it, but hadn't got that level of detail. That one was just an example though, I am sure there are others I haven't even heard of. Right now I google when I see mention of a style that's new to me. I have also done more general searches and I found a few sources with info on multiple shapes like this http://www.agrussell.com/Knife-Encylopedia/a/134/ , I was hoping there was a book(s) or web sites out there with something similar but more comprehensive.

Back