BladeBond Epoxy Pigments---Now Available

aldear

Evening folks,
Just wanted to let y'all know that our epoxy pigments are available and ready for sale. Per the description on our website at http://bladebond.com/Products.html
BladeBond epoxy pigments are highly concentrated colorants, that unlike other colorants are specifically designed to NOT deteriorate the bonding and physical properties of our epoxies. Our pigments are dispersed in 100% epoxy resin, which is the basic building block of the Part A side of the system. BladeBond pigments are formulated to be mixed in with the Part A Resin then measured out by volume with an equal portion of the Part B Hardener. The less pigment you add the more translucent the final product will become, the more you add the more opaque the final product will be. A word of advice, these pigments are VERY highly concentrated, and usually only require a small drop or two to achieve adequate hide. The 1/2oz jar contains enough resin to pigment roughly a gallon of epoxy. NOTE: These pigments SHOULD be compatible with just about any epoxy on the market, such as Loctite, Devcon, West etc...since they all use the same basic epoxy resin to formulate the Part A.Colors may be mixed with one another for custom tints.
As Always, please feel free to contact me anytime with questions or comments, and always, thanks so much for you business!

Andy Dear
Axis Outdoor Products
www.bladebond.com

Last edited:
This is good news. I use pigment in nearly every build. I'm nearing the end of my G-flex supply and will be using the Blade Bond when it's time to re-order.

Thanks John, I really appreciate the support...it means a lot to me. I also forgot to add we've got a couple of new distributors here in Texas as well that are listed on the website. I know James Huse will be at the First Texas Knife Makers Guild Event this weekend, and will have product for sale. I haven't heard from the guys at Jephco yet, but they may be there as well.

Pretty soon I'll also be adding some videos on youtube showing how to properly use the products...specifically the pigments. I'll make a post here when they are ready.

Andy Dear
Axis Outdoor Products
www.bladebond.com

Last edited:
As always, thanks for being active in these forums and supporting your product by being so accessible. I'd buy a truckload of it to show my appreciation, but alas I'm just a poor ole' hobby maker. That's why I need to use up the epoxy I have on hand before buying more.

How does this compare to the System 3 epoxies that I have been using. The T-88 or G-2 and the Gel magic. I think they are water proof as well since they are being made for the marine industry. I am always interested in new products especially when those companies support the knife industry.

Hi Percy,
The only experience I have with System 3 Epoxies is with the product I think they term their "general use" epoxy, which are formulated more as laminating resins for boat building rather than adhesives. Back about 20 years ago I had an aluminum fishing boat that I built decks and floors out of plywood, and glassed with that product. Although that was long before my time in the epoxy business, and I really had no idea at the time about the technical properties of that particular product, it seemed to work fine for that application. Regarding the other products you mentioned, I have never used any of those, but I did take a look at the technical data sheets on the website, and will outline my observations below.

Gel Magic: Advertised as a "two phase morphology", which usually indicates a resin designed for better resistance to fatigue (among other things). 2:1 mix which I try to stay away from for consumer use. Looks like a good resin, except for the fact that it requires a post cure in an oven to reach max properties, and it is opaque, which can leave visible glue lines in some applications.

G2: Similar working properties to our stuff, but much thinner viscosity. Again, 2:1 mix, which we try to stay away from for overall ease of use. Also, we have better tensile and compressive strength. The viscosity is a bit thin for my tastes...I prefer something that's slightly more gap filling and less runny, only because its less prone to squeeze out and leaving a starved joint.

T88: Similar working properties to our stuff, notably we have a higher tensile elongation and heat deflection temperature, and a higher maximum service temperature.

Honestly, most of the quality resin manufacturers out there are going to make a good product. I do feel ours has some performance advantages over them, but that's up to you guys to decide. The big difference I am trying to get the industry on board with, is that NONE of these companies...System Three, West, Devcon, Loctite, Acraglas etc....none of them do anything for our industry. They don't buy advertising, they don't support the forums, they don't come on here and answer technical questions, they don't offer price protection to the small independent distributors...nothing. When you buy BladeBond, you help support forum sponsorships like this one. You are purchasing a product that provides the small independent distributors an opportunity to sell a product with higher than normal margins that offers them protection from internet price cutting. You make it feasible for me to be active on here and provide answers to questions about the products, and adhesives in general. My business philosophy is built on the premise that the craft of knife making deserves products that "put back" into the industry, which none of the other adhesive manufacturers have any interest in doing because its not in their financial best interest.....anyway, I am off my high horse now...lol.

I am sure you'll do great with the System Three stuff...it looks like a quality product. I do hope, that you'll take us into consideration on your next purchase. At the very least, you'll be 100% sure that the money you spend on Bladebond goes back into developing products for the knife industry, and not into developing products to make wooden boats, or honeycomb satellite panels, and at the same time offers the dealers an exclusive product with price protection....which I think is a very worthwhile pursuit.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Axis Outdoor Products
www.bladebond.com

Last edited:
Good news on the pigments being now available Andy - your BladeBond epoxy is GREAT stuff. Not "too" thick, but don't need to add any cab-o-sil for thickening either. GREAT STUFF!!! AND - it's always a BIG plus to have a vendor supporting the knife community.

Ken H>

I bought a pack of the 15 minute from James at the Texas event today. Was glad to see you guys work together to make it available.

Hey Jason!
Good to hear you got some resin! I hope you guys had a great event up there, and didn't get rained out. We had 5 1/2" here in the Hill Country, and it was a lot worse in other places around the State. I am really proud to be able to support the Texas Guild in an official corporate capacity. On a personal note, James is a GREAT guy, and has become a very good friend outside of knife making. I am really proud to be involved with all you guys, and look forward to supporting your organization for years to come.

Let me know how you you like the resin,

Andy Dear
Axis Outdoor Products
www.bladebond.com

It rained plenty, and we had several folks who had to get pulled out of the mud before we could get started, but overall it was a great time.

Thanks for the info you did on the System Three verses your product. Like I said I have been using it for years with no problems. However that being said I would much rather use a product that the company supports the knife industry. Cost is not the issue even if yours is more it will be my next purchase even before I really need it.
Again thank you for the info and the work you put into this and helping our industry with your support.
Percy

Back